Senior Reporter / Sub-editor
Job Title: Senior Reporter / Sub-editor
Line manager’s job: Managing Director
Core hours: (FT) 9am-6pm Mon to Fri
Compensation: Based on experience / competitive
Based: Remote / London / Manchester
Business travel: Limited
ABOUT ESPORTS INSIDER (ESI)
Esports Insider (ESI) helps to develop the esports industry by connecting businesses with the people and information necessary to succeed.
Based in London and founded in the summer of 2016, Esports Insider operates as a leading international media and events company.
It runs industry news platform Esportsinsider.com, B2B focused digital and print publication The Esports Journal, and the ESI Connect service; which brings together rights holders on one side, and brands, suppliers & investors on the other.
ESI is part of the Sport Global Group of companies, SBC develops the sports betting and gaming industry by connecting businesses with the people and information necessary to succeed.
The group has over 50 employees with headquarters in London, several offices across Europe, as well as in the US and Latin America. With ambitious expansion plans, SBC is a high growth and innovative company focused on customer commitment and quality
To support the continued growth of ESI, we are looking for a results driven, commercially astute and creative Senior Reporter / Section Editor.
With a demonstrable track record in journalism, you should have a strong understanding of ESI’s positioning in the industry, how it fits in currently, and be able to identify areas of potential growth.
Existing relationships in and around the esports space will be of great benefit, and having an understanding of where the industry as a whole is positioned right now, who the stakeholders are, and how it monetises will be equally vital.
Core Responsibilities - Senior Reporter / Section Editor
- Day to day oversight of the content on the esportsinsider.com site, including writing both news pieces and features and managing the publishing schedule (including multi-channel social media distribution via Buffer)
- Generate and develop a range of content using various research techniques
- Proof-read and copy edit document or other writers’ work for publication on the site
- Maintain and develop contacts network in and around the esports industry
- Develop long-form stories to broader exposure and strengthen output
- Producing content for The Esports Journal, ESI Media clients and promotional pieces for ESI events
- Be a visible and active company representative at industry events,
- Able to identify opportunities to improve client service and offerings
Depending on the candidate, there will be opportunities to amend / extend to scope of this role.
You must have:
- Advanced news judgment; experience of sorting and selecting news
- Good understanding of the essentials of design and layout
- Understanding of Social Media strategies and data analytics to inform coverage
- Knowledge of defamation, privacy law, copyright and social media - able to advise others
- Experience in collaborating within and across teams, involving the right people
- Confident in building relationships, and creating and implementing new ideas
- Provable knowledge of esports as an industry, who the main stakeholders are, how the money flows, and ESI’s position within it.
- Provable knowledge of, and experience working with Wordpress
- Ability to recognise industry challenges related to reforms, technology, governance, globalisation, and increased competition
It would be nice if you had:
- Understanding of social media execution and utilisation
- Experience with using Buffer, and of social media scheduling tools across platforms
- Knowledge of Asana, and Jira
- Knowledge of Wordpress
- A full working knowledge of Google Products; Sheets, Slides and Docs
- Knowledge of SEO techniques
- Podcasting experience
- Experience with video creation and editing
- We are a central cog in the global esports ecosystem
- We respect each other and work as a team; encouraging people to learn and grow
- We're ambitious; we work hard and care about the right path for the growth of the esports industry
- We are open and honest in all of our communications, and challenge each other openly and constructively
- We are professional but ensure that we maintain a positive working environment, and bring fun and energy to engage and inspire others
- We encourage creativity and innovation and constantly strive to improve