Software Engineer, Backend
Who we are searching for:
- You are enthusiastic, a self-starter, and capable of problem-solving complex technical challenges.
- You are a mid-level, backend, remote software engineer with 2+ years of experience in modern PHP.
As a backend Software Engineer at ESL Gaming Online, you will be part of the dynamic Web team that develops, maintains, and creates technical solutions for challenges relating to ESEA.net, and potentially other ESLGO products. From the comfort of your remote workspace of choice, be it your home or the road, this role empowers you to help further develop web technology to support our millions of users.
The backend Software Engineer reports to our Team Lead and is a part of our global Technology team. This is a remote position with the ideal candidate for this position residing in North America.
What you’ll do:
- Give feedback on and estimating/planning upcoming work
- Research and problem-solve for simple, creative, and effective solutions
- Build backend applications for production and own the development cycle - from software design and architecture, implementation, and testing to deployment and maintenance of the products
- Review code from other team members via GitHub pull requests
- Investigate and fix bugs that pop up from time to time
What you need:
- 2+ years of experience with PHP (Laravel/symfony) and MySQL
- Experience with version control (Git)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Strong understanding of web development and security best practices
- You care about code quality, code reviewing and providing feedback/suggestions for improvement. You are motivated to learn from and mentor team members
- At least partial availability during North American working hours
Nice to Have:
- Experience with any of the following: Typescript and React, Swagger/OpenAPI Specification, CI/CD concepts, AWS, Docker, Go, Python
- Familiarity with JIRA/confluence
- Building and maintaining large scale projects
- Knowledge of testing frameworks (phpunit, react-testing-library, jest, etc)
- Previous experience working as part of a remote team
- Knowledge of - or interest in - competitive gaming (especially CS:GO) and tournament brackets (many of our employees play on the platforms they develop)
- University degree in STEM, a related field, or equivalent experience
ESL Gaming is the world’s largest esports and gaming lifestyle company. Since 1994, the company has been shaping the industry and leading esports and gaming innovation on a global scale across the most popular video games with numerous online and offline esports competitions, and through premier gaming lifestyle festivals. The company operates high-profile, branded international leagues and tournaments under the ESL Pro Tour, including ESL One, Intel® Extreme Masters, DreamHack Masters, ESL Pro League, and other preeminent, stadium-size tournaments. ESL Gaming also produces and hosts DreamHack Open tournaments, ESL National Championships, grassroots amateur cups, matchmaking systems, and DreamHack’s gaming lifestyle festivals — which feature everything gaming under one roof. ESL Gaming is part of MTG, the leading international digital entertainment group.
ESL Gaming is an equal opportunity employer. We are creating a world where everybody can be somebody. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.