Sr. DevOps Engineer
What The Role Is
Epic Games is hiring a Senior DevOps Engineer for the Online Infrastructure Operations team, supporting cloud-based infrastructure under critical, customer-facing applications and services. We operate at massive scale, move quickly, and create solutions that enable Epic’s development teams to deliver powerful platforms and engaging experiences.
Infrastructure Operations is responsible for the production cloud environments supporting Fortnite and many other Epic services, and our responsibilities involve a blend of operational support, platform development, and developer tooling. We’re globally distributed to provide follow-the-sun support for our internal customers everywhere.
A Senior DevOps Engineer in Infrastructure Operations will be responsible for design/delivery of service infrastructure, investigating player-impacting operational issues, and amplifying the technical abilities of our worldwide engineering team.
Why you’ll love it
- You’ll get to work on real-world infrastructure serving hundreds of developers and millions of concurrent players. Our infrastructure has repeatedly proven to operate reliably at scale, but we are always pushing the boundaries of our systems. Extending Fortnite’s infrastructure to support 12+ million concurrent users and beyond is the sort of challenge that we relish and work with our dev teams to deliver.
- You’ll work with the engineering teams behind the Epic Game Store, Epic Online Services, and Fortnite to ship great experiences for players and partners.
- You’ll have incredible latitude to identify and solve scaling, agility, and reliability challenges impacting all of these teams.
Here’s what some of our partners have to say about us:
“The ops team solves problems every day that keep me unblocked and able to deliver time-sensitive analytics infrastructure.” -- Daniel, Analytics
“The Infra Ops team has provided a consistently reliable platform for development teams since Fortnite launched and their innovations and support keep us running.” -- Pete, Reliability Engineering
Who You Are
- You have rock-solid technical skills and supreme comfort wielding a wide set of industry-standard cloud tools. You know how to design robust AWS infrastructure at scale, you know where it breaks, and you know how to design around those places. You’re experienced with AWS, Docker, Terraform, and Ansible. Ideally, you have experience with Kubernetes and an interest in going deeper. You know how to get Linux to do what you want without thinking about it, and know more than you’d like to admit about networking infrastructure.
- You have experience working with RDS, DynamoDB, and Redis and/or ElastiCache (Mongo experience is a plus!). Most importantly, you understand how to work efficiently with relational and NoSQL databases and also how they fail at scale.
- You’re comfortable coding in some combination of Python, Go, and/or Bash, can automate infrastructure or create robust services comfortably and know what makes for a good developer experience. You’re going to build infrastructure and also contribute to enabling a great developer experience for other teams.
- You have great communication abilities. Our team is globally distributed, multi-lingual (with English as a common language), and of a wide variety of backgrounds. In this role you will share extensively with the global team and other Epic partner teams over both video and written communication.
- You are excited about mentoring junior engineers and enabling them to do their best work. This role isn’t responsible for line management, but the best candidate will amplify the abilities of the rest of the team: providing technical direction, code reviews, and leveraging the talents of junior team members to deliver complex and business-critical projects as part of the overall team roadmap.
- You don’t mind being on-call. This is an operations role and when there’s a service issue, we engage strongly as a team to address it quickly. Because Infrastructure Operations is staffed with a follow-the-sun presence, being engaged outside of North America daylight hours is fairly unusual, but does happen.
- Strong preference for candidates who are already in, or are willing to relocate to Cary, NC or Seattle, WA.
This is going to be Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here .