Senior Media Systems Engineer
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Senior Media Systems Engineer
What you’ll do
Our team is embedded in the IT team at Epic Games and are known as Media Systems Engineering (MSE). We are responsible for the design, integration, and support of the media infrastructure globally in the studio. Provide world-class solutions to ensure content creators and collaborators see and hear their work in the way it was intended. We are the champions of the user experience at the intersection of technology and art.
In this role, you will:
- Research and evaluate new technology and industry trends to meet the ongoing dynamic needs of the business goals.
- Theoretical understanding and practical experience of various media file formats, video / audio formats and systems administration practices
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business leaders, creative teams and peer engineering groups to implement the infrastructure required to support our vision and strategy
- Work with vendors and internal & external partners and teams to ensure all Epic projects and initiatives are completed to meet expectations
- Efficiently use various audio, video, and ancillary production and post-production tools (compression systems, encoders, decoders, converters, pre-processing systems, as required) while ensuring the proper use of such tools by the wider team
- Mentor, support, and evolve the technical skills of video production teams in areas of audio/video workflows
- Educate various internal and external teams on technical specifications and video production best practices for Epic
- Maintain technical standards across video audio production, continuously audit industry best-practices and optimize systems frequently
- Develop technical documentation, diagrams and templates and be rigorous in maintaining accuracy and relevancy of developed materials.
- Experience with cloud-based video and audio workflows, transcoding and metadata best practices
- Make sound, independent decisions and know when to escalate issues
- Evaluate complex challenges against a variety of factors and design short-term and long-term strategies
What we’re looking for
- Minimum of 10 of years experience in media systems engineering: demonstrable technical experience in systems design, product ownership, and iterative design and deployment
- Experience designing and deploying large scale audio and video systems, multi-vendor platforms and globally distributed infrastructure
- Able to self-organize, collaborate and manage efforts with peers and teams across responsibility areas, languages, geography and time zones; acts as an informed captain and make data-backed decisions on behalf of Epic
- Be a self-starter, curious and not afraid to ask questions and challenge the way things are done today; question the norm and propose alternate solutions and perspectives.
- See a problem or opportunity, take ownership and act on it independently; develop methods and habits to be an informed and motivated product owner
- Inform, educate and develop team members, peers and customers to grow expertise, develop alignment and encourage collaboration
- Know when to take ownership and when to escalate issues; our teams work to cover a global footprint and having self, situational and organizational awareness to know when you should take the lead on an issue and when you should bring in reinforcements to help tackle the problem at hand is critical
- Some regular travel may be required to any of our studios and partner sites.
This is going to be Epic!
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love we have for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.