(Closed) Principal UX Designer - Fortnite
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating. Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic.
What you’ll do
Epic Games is looking for a talented, experienced Principal level UX Designer to help us design the future of Fortnite’s player experience and UI. In this position, you will collaborate with other Principals and Directors to craft a new forward facing design vision. You will work closely with UX researchers to establish a dialog with players and help us understand what they want from Fortnite’s next UI. You will lead efforts to build and standardize a set of design pillars, thematics, and principles that can guide our UX/UI teams future facing efforts. You will lead the effort to define the quality bar for what great UX is and work to empower and mentor other UX designers within our team to meet that bar.
In this role, you will
- Work with Game Designers to translate goals of future facing Fortnite efforts into compelling player-facing experiences.
- Establish design pillars, thematics, and principles for Fortnite’s future facing UI.
- Collaborate with Visual Designers and UX Research to level up the UX & UI of Fortnite.
- Create wireframes, interactive prototypes, and documentation that clearly convey ideas.
- Present and pitch designs to Product Managers, Developers, and Stakeholders.
- Lead the effort to establish a robust design system in Figma, based on the new UX/UI work you and team complete, that serves as a force multiplier and unifier for the whole team.
- Produce UX design work such as competitive analysis, information architecture, content strategy, user stories, journey mapping, and accessibility standards.
- Lead efforts to resolve design discrepancies across Fortnite.
- Work quickly and effectively in a fast paced environment.
What we’re looking for
- You have 10+ years of experience working collaboratively to design features and complex UX systems through to completion across multiple platforms (mobile, web, pc, consoles).
- You have 10+ years of experience working in Agile environments and on multi-disciplinary teams.
- You have at least 5+ years of experience shipping updates and new features to users on a regular cadence.
- You’re a tastemaker in the UX design field. You have an articulate take on design systems. You come to the table with ideas on where you’d like to take the Fortnite player experience.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills with at least 6-8 years of experience presenting to team members and stakeholders.
- You are skilled with Figma, the Adobe Suite, and prototyping software.
- You are known for your ability to take complex spaces and boil them down into clear, easy to understand wireframes and prototypes
- You have a strong online portfolio demonstrating user-centered design solutions and expertly crafted design systems, all with strong visual direction and interaction design.
- You have a passion for making and playing games.
- You're a proven problem solver who naturally leans into owning outcomes from start to finish.
- You’re highly proactive and able to work autonomously, but really enjoy collaborating as part of a high performing team.
- You’re able to deal with ambiguity well and you adapt to changes of plans quickly.
- You have worked on 5+ AAA game titles.
- A degree in related fields (Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Interaction Design, etc).
- Please submit your resume with a portfolio and we’ll be in touch soon!
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 1,800+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
We offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy on our website.