Lead Engine Programmer - Online
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
The Unreal Engine Online team builds and supports the frameworks that empower the best online player experiences in Epic’s games like Fortnite and Rocket League. In addition, we provide the Unreal Engine plugins that make it easier for developers to develop online features for their games across a variety of platforms and services.
What You'll Do
We’re looking for a passionate Lead Engine Programmer to help empower the Unreal Engine Online team to build the best tools for online development. You can expect to contribute across a variety of online features and hardware platforms, from desktop to console to mobile. You will partner closely with backend service teams as well as game teams, ensuring that the underlying systems we build are scalable and secure.
You should have a broad knowledge of modern game engine technology, as well as experience with utilizing online services in games. Additionally, you should have experience working closely with developers in all disciplines, not just other programmers. Your team’s goal is to empower Unreal Engine developers, including Fortnite, to make world-class experiences using the systems that you create, through close iteration with both our internal game teams and external engine customers.
In This Role You Will
- Lead a team of world-class programmers and coordinate development of gameplay systems.
- Architect and guide gameplay system development to help Unreal Engine grow to fit the needs of current and future games and applications.
- Research capabilities for online functionality available on various platforms such as authentication, commerce, matchmaking, player inventory, leaderboards, achievements, voice chat, parties, lobbies and more
- Mentor and foster the professional development of your team.
- Scope and prioritize work in close collaboration with the team, making trade-offs when they’re appropriate.
- Work closely with other teams, often across different projects, along with their leads and production to align feature work to help everyone succeed.
- Design new APIs that will support online features for both Epic’s games and the Unreal Engine
- Build tools that make it easier to develop online features
- Support external Unreal Engine developers by answering their requests and questions about online systems
- Provide samples and documentation that showcase how to best use the online APIs and tools in the Unreal Engine
- Bug fix and maintain the Unreal Engine 5 code base.
What We're Looking For
- Excellent leadership skills, including mentoring your team, planning technical roadmaps, making trade-offs, and prioritization.
- Excellent C++ skills
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design and architecture
- Strong problem-solving, logic, and troubleshooting skills
- Online service integration experience in games or game engines
- Experience with multithreading, asynchronous, and event-driven programming
- Experience with one or more of the following: game engines, consoles (Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation), or mobile (Android, iOS)
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment, with excellent cross-discipline communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-programmers!
- Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal).
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 3,000+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.