Epic Games has multiple teams seeking generalist Engine Programmers passionate about writing world-class, AAA game engine features. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated and be able to design and implement new engine runtime features, APIs, and supporting tools as required by the demands of a variety of both gaming and non-gaming related projects. You should have a broad knowledge of modern game engine technology, as well as a good sense of trade-offs between performance, memory usage, and ease-of-implementation. Additionally, you should have experience working closely with developers in all disciplines, not just other engineers. Your job will be to empower them to make world-class experiences using the systems that you create.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Designing and implementing runtime engine features for Unreal Engine 4
- Working closely with artists, animators, and designers to design and develop engine systems
- Optimizing both memory and performance in systems that have to scale from high-end to mobile systems
- Analyzing and fixing common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems
- Bug fixing and maintaining the Unreal Engine 4 code base
- Supporting external customers by answering their requests and questions
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
- Excellent C++ skills, with a familiarity of scripting systems like Blueprint, Lua, Python, etc.
- Experience in a broad range of engineering areas on shipping games or realtime visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment, with excellent cross-discipline communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-engineers!
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts
- Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including PC, console, and mobile
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
- Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal)
Please submit your resume and we’ll be in touch soon.
This is going to be Epic!