(Closed) Backend Engineer (Epic Online Services)
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Engineering at Epic Online Services
What we do
Driving the plug-in power behind Unreal Engine. We bridge connections for licensees and our own internal game teams to online services. This allows games like Fortnite to utilize a combination of platform online services as well as Epic’s own online services to build cross-platform online features. Login, parties, voice chat, matchmaking, purchasing, cloud storage, and analytics are just a few examples of online features that our Online Game Services team helps games utilize.
What you’ll do
You will be at the center of game services that power player experiences for all products around the globe. From design, implementation and deployment you will be able to shape the services and features that drive the future of our products. We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a highly scalable backend with the passion for innovative technology and competitive games.
In this role, you will
- Serve as a key contributor to Developer Portal systems and components. Assess technical challenges, design architectures, and run with implementations
- Collaborate closely with client and backend teams to integrate components for Epic Online Services
- Own technical designs and enforce engineering standards for client-side components
- Partner with stakeholders to establish priorities, break out tasking, and communicate risks
- Provide input into the product roadmap, including milestone schedules and deliverables
- Handle live operational issues on services and platform
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years software engineering industry experience developing online applications
- 2+ years of experience developing systems using Node.js
- 2+ years of experience developing client web applications using HTML and CSS
- Deep knowledge of Node.js, understanding strong and weak sides of Node.js
- Experience in architecting modular, feature-rich Node.js applications
- Strong knowledge of web technologies, performance optimization, troubleshooting
- Experience building software for client side applications. Understanding of control flows, responsiveness, versioning and migration concerns
- Mindset of writing well tested code, including unit-testing, integration testing and end-to-end testing
- Proficiency with common networking protocols (HTTP, TCP, Websockets)
- Willingness to learn from, and teach, fellow teammates
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
We pay 100% for benefits for both employees and dependents. We offer free drinks and snacks every day, lunches (2x/week), accident insurance (at work and leisure), life insurance, supplemental medical, dental insurance, public transportation, annual celebrations and game nights for employees and family members.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love we have for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.