(Closed) VFX Artist (Apex Legends)
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA video game development studio that was founded in 2010 and acquired by Electronic Arts in 2017. Respawn aspires to create innovative hit games that leave a lasting impact for gamers worldwide. Our shipped work includes the critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, and Titanfall 2. We are currently developing the Star Wars™ action-adventure game Jedi: Fallen Order, virtual reality game Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, and are continuing development for our live free-to-play game, Apex Legends. The opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry awaits our future team members.
We’re looking for a passionate VFX Artist who will balance both technical and creative needs to creating compelling, realistic visual effects to help achieve the goal of an immersive gameplay experience.
What’s it like to be a VFX Artist at Respawn?
- Day to Day - Our VFX Artists are responsible for creating and implementing exciting visual effects, helping to improve technical pipelines and VFX creation techniques/tools, research and development, troubleshooting technical problems, fixing relevant bugs - including performance and budget issues, and are always seeking to raise the quality bar to deliver the best VFX possible.
- Variety - Our VFX Artists have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of effects, as opposed to being pigeon-holed in a specialty. You may work on a gun one day and a tornado the next. You may have ownership of something you are passionate about - such as owning a character’s effects from start to finish. When you need a creative refresh, you may find yourself jumping around on things that need to get done that day. As a VFX Artist on our team, you will have the opportunity to work in an established universe but still invent, as well as work on a diverse array of effects.
- Progress - The VFX team is engaged with evolving our pipelines and tools. They seek ways to make improvements and are always looking to advance our technology and help take our effects to the next level. You will have a voice regarding how we can do things better - on the VFX side and beyond.
- Values - Our VFX Artists are aligned on their values. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff for both developers and players. Our leads also make a lot of effort to ensure that their team members work on assignments they are excited about.
- Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. As a VFX Artist you will have the opportunity to own your effects from conceptualization to shipping. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
What do we look for in VFX Artist candidates?
- You’ve Made Stuff You Are Proud Of - What we’d love to see in your VFX portfolio is work that you developed yourself from concept to finish - regardless of whether the work is realistic or stylized, we want to see high quality, polished effects that are visually appealing and affecting.
- Real-Time Effects Work - Our VFX Artists need to be able to develop effects that look great in real-time, as well as implement them into the game engine. The ideal candidate will have experience creating real-time effects and familiarity with working in game engines.
- A Spirit for Collaboration - Our VFX Artists work closely with talented developers in other departments such as game design, art, animation, audio, and engineering. We look for team players who enjoy developing their own work, enhancing the work of others, and collaborating closely with those within and outside of their discipline for the best results possible.
- Passion - We look for VFX Artists who are highly passionate. Our effects team is constantly sharing knowledge and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team members love what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience – We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people who have a knack for hands on technical development, but who also balance their drive to make cool stuff with the understanding of what is highest priority for the team members and the game.
- Teamwork – Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will collaborate closely with other departments. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
- Professional game development experience.
- Mastery of relevant software packages such as Photoshop, After Effects and Maya.
- Both technical and creative skills along with a strong artistic vision.
- Strong understanding of particle systems.
- Self-direction and the ability to work autonomously as well as with a team.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and reel and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.