EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to provide outstanding visuals, audio and technology. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture and craft.
Technical Artist I
The Technical Artist (TA) is a bridge between the artists and programmers. They ensure art content can be smoothly integrated into a game without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding technical limitations. The Technical Artist reporting to the Technical Art Director works as part of the art team and coordinates with the artists, art director, and programmers.
The responsibilities of Technical Artists include setting up and maintaining the art production workflow, making decisions on art packages and tools, research\implementation of new production techniques, the implementation of custom tools to improve workflow efficiency, provide feedback and debugging of complex assets.
The Technical Artist typically works removed from the direct creation of game art assets, setting up systems of production, and solving problems as they arise. The Technical Artist is required to keep up-to-date on changes in technology, console hardware, art packages, and new techniques.
- Maintain technologies and art workflows.
- Identify art workflow problems, and work with Technical Producers, Expert’s, TAD's and TA’s to solve them.
- Establish and enforce naming conventions within assets, tools, and workflows
- Integrate new technologies into art workflows.
- Work with other artists/TA's on a daily basis to identify challenges and provide solutions.
- Oversee asset and meeting budget (memory and performance).
- Oversee asset build stability.
What skills does EA look for?
Technical Artists I, are expected to have 2+ years of experience, involving both art and programming experience. A Technical Artist can come from either background.
You have a detailed knowledge of multiple industry-standard art packages. The use of scripting languages is required, as is an understanding of the limitations of console hardware. Experience in film and television is welcomed, where the experience of high-end rendering techniques or complex animation are useful skills.
You will show technical proficiency in areas such as lighting and rendering, texturing, and graphics-related programming languages. You also have knowledge of art packages ranging from modeling to texturing and special effects and can customize them to refine workflows for specific projects.
Most Technical Artists will have a degree in a relevant visual art or technical subject; however, the most important prerequisite is; experience working with art tools and game hardware on multiple projects.
Skills And Experience
- At least 2+ years of games/animation/FX production experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of CG fundamentals: modeling, texturing/shading/surfacing, rigging, animation, lighting, rendering, and compositing.
- Understanding of multiple gaming platform limitations with regard to visual assets.
- Experience with at least one 3D package.
- Intermediate scripting experience with Python or Mel/Maya API.
- Proficiency with C# or C++
- Experience troubleshooting CG issues.
- Think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Experience providing a bridge between artists and software engineers.
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers.
We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and maternity and paternity leave, plus free video games and so much more!
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.