Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
Term: 12 month Contract
Location: Toronto, ON; Redwood City, CA | Open to remote for most North America Locations
We're looking for a gifted visual storyteller to help us visualize our designs, gameplay experiences, and technology solutions through animatics and storytelling. Maxis creates life simulations that tell stories through characters in every-day or extravagant situations. As such, we need someone who can help us explore body language, visualize relationship dynamics and play with timing and spacing between characters.
We're interested to know:
- How do a couple watch a romantic movie together when one is upset with the other?
- How does a husband engage in a conversation with his wife, while he almost breaks a new record on his favorite video game?
- How does a family cook together in the same kitchen while carrying out a conversation?
Our ideal candidate is someone who is thrilled to contribute visually and share ideas, in a collaborative environment with several disciplines, and who loves telling stories about every-day life.
You will report to a Studio Development Director.
- Creatively tackle challenges in story and explore ways in which to bring characters to life, visualize game dynamics and support story expectations.
- Brainstorm and create storyboard panels against a specified vision or problem space.
- Produce illustrations and sketches evoking the project's style and aesthetic.
- Apply emotion and humor to characters.
- Apply dynamic action and exaggerated gestures.
- Work within staging and composition of the scene.
- Emulate character designs, from our character team, within boards.
- Bring life to each character and emphasize on their personas.
- Translate storyboards into Animatic sequences that highlight and bring the characters to life.
- Edit and refine the timing of Animatic sequences to maximize emotional impact and convey appropriate audience response.
- Partner with peers from different disciplines to understand challenges and suggest improvements.
- Team up with creative supervisors on deliverable goals within the limitations of the story/script.
- Communicate work progress, identify blockers and dependencies, and identify impact on deliverables.
- Independently manage time of deliverables and provide estimates on tasks.
- Excellent foundation in art production, and experienced in developing drawings and sketches that demonstrate:
- Characters that portray emotion, humor, and appeal.
- Clear storytelling with action, mechanics, and interaction.
- Expert sense of camera, staging, perspective, and composition skills.
- Expert sense of anatomy, dynamic motion posing and exaggerated gestures.
- A high level of experience with digital editing software
- Experience in hands-on timing and editing of focused animatics to create lively and dynamic story sequences that inspire gameplay implementation. For example:
- A conversation between multiple characters
- A dinner sequence involving an extended family
- A lively sidewalk scene outside a store
- Experience collaborating and communicating in a diverse environment of different disciplines.
- 5+ years of professional experience on either Feature Films, Television Series, Advertising, Comics, Games (as a Story Artist), or Cinematics.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is a plus.
- Estimates work, communicates changes, and works within a deadline structure.
- Succeed in a remote working environment.
- Demo-reel or video of Storyboard Animatics (accompanied with voice / sound)
- Portfolio containing Images of Storyboard sequences
- Advanced knowledge of software:
- Toon Boom Storyboard Pro / Adobe Premiere (Comparable tool)
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.