Software Engineer - Golang, AWS, Kubernetes
The Challenge Ahead
Cloud innovations change the gaming industry landscape every day, adding new capabilities, enabling new scenarios, and redefining the category. Within EA, the Game Server Hosting group builds the critical game server infrastructure that underpins EA’s current generation of multiplayer games and fuels innovation of the next wave. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join the team driving our game server platform forward and help ship EA’s next amazing multiplayer game.
Duties of a Software Engineer within EA's Game Server Hosting:
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, your primary responsibility will be to contribute to the containerized software and services infrastructure that enable EA's world-renowned game studios to innovate and rapidly iterate to deliver into production the richest multiplayer game experiences possible. Working with your team lead, you will scope and estimate feature work, create and contribute features to the codebase, fix bugs, review others’ code, and work with several internal game studios to ship incredible games from some of the industry’s top franchises.
What a Software Engineer III does on EA’s Game Server Hosting team:
- Work with product , program and project management to ensure clarity and understanding of features and priorities.
- Develop creative solutions that address customer requests, new product features and production defects. Drive solution review by peers and partners.
- Work directly with divisional and studio partners to understand priorities and requirements while contributing to releasing games to market.
- Evolve project statements into preliminary engineering designs and topologies.
- Expand designs into engineering execution plans and engineering tasks
- Work with the team to design and drive the development and quality processes, coding standards, and practices .
- Develop code meeting peer-reviewed code standards, using team-selected tools, committed to approved repositories.
- Track issues and items using team development tools, prioritize, and communicate development progress.
- Design and execute quality assurance, validation, and stress testing of completed product features.
- Document and prepare product production changes. Validate that product has passed quality gates. Contribute to post-mortems for unsuccessful releases.
- Work with support teams and partners to debug and resolve production incidents with deployed products.
- Communicates with multiple teams across time zones and feature teams.
- Enhance EA’s engineering capabilities through tracking of peers, industry, segment, and technology. Be subject matter expert in their field and informed/knowledgeable about related fields, and roles.
- Support and mentor peer software engineers through advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Grow engineering teams through interviewing , recruiting and hiring .
- Interacts with, and contributes to, the open source software community.
The Next Great EA Software Engineer Needs To Have
- Masters’ degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of hands-on commercial development experience, preferably on a team building and maintaining cloud-based services
- Experience with object-oriented backend service languages such as Golang, Java, or C#
- Proficiency with one or more public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with automated build systems and continuous integration
Bonus Experience Points
- Proficiency with Golang
- Experience with Kubernetes as an orchestration system for large numbers of workloads (1000+ pods in multiple regions)
- Experience with web development frameworks - React, Angular
- Engineering Collaboration software - JIRA, GitLab, GitHub, and Confluence