Game Designer Internship
Requisition Number: 165830
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
At EA, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create amazing experiences for our players everywhere and we consider our players’ experiences first in everything we do.
EA SPORTS is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning innovation, fan programs and cross-platform digital experiences dedicated to growing the love of sports. EA SPORTS creates authentic, immersive, and fun experiences that invite a diverse audience of players to create, connect, compete, and self-express through industry-leading sports videogames and live services, including FIFA, Madden NFL, NHL, NBA LIVE, and EA SPORTS UFC. For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit our website.
Interested in joining our team? At EA Madrid - where passion for sports is only matched by the talent on the ground - we are looking for passionate Game Designers to play a part in developing the next installments of our Madden franchise. We are offering a 6-month contract with potential extensions through an internship agreement with an University/Studies Centre
The challenge ahead:
Help design EA games to be played by millions of people across the globe. Ensure that games have an ‘x’ factor uniqueness that compels people to play and be entertained.
Game Designers Interns help to create what a game consists of and how it plays, following the vision of the Creative/Game Director. They plan and determine elements and components of a game, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, vehicles, and devices available to the characters; interface design; game modes and live content.
Originality and creativity are valued, but a knowledge of a game’s target audience and market is equally if not more important. Game Designers should also understand the capabilities and benefits of different hardware platforms (e.g., PC, console), and familiarity with software technologies and techniques appropriate to each platform.
It is the Game Designer Intern’s responsibility to help ensuring that the team understands and shares the original concept and vision of the game as outlined by the Creative/Game Director. During development, the Game Designer Intern makes adjustments to the original specification to respond to technical constraints and to incorporate new programming and art creation methods developed by the team. The Game Designer also trains testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product.
What skills does EA look for?
There is no set route to becoming a Game Designer Intern. Game development is a complex discipline, so the Game Designer Interns will work with teams of programmers, artists, project managers, writers, producers, and many others. The Game Designer Intern usually has a reasonably good level of industry experience or studies in this subject. EA usually expects to see a portfolio of work, which can take the form of completed game projects or written game design documents and proposals.
Game development is a collaborative process involving diverse teams. Designers must be communicate their vision to artists, programmers, producers, marketing staff, and others involved in the development process, and accept feedback on their work.
When looking for Game Designers EA values an understanding of gameplay theory. You have information design and user interface design skill. Last but not least, they must display systematic, imagination and creativity.
As far as educational background, Game Designers can study a range of subjects, from the sciences and humanities to art and design. There are also a growing number of games-related degree programs and courses available for study, and a degree in this type of program. Prospective Game Designers should check the content of courses, the balance between programming, game art, and game design.
- You will work with teams including Producers, Artists, Programmers, Marketing and other Leads to guide the team’s understanding of the project’s vision.
- Develop live service content documentation, including mechanics, guidelines, content, and gameplay outlines.
- Plan and determine elements and components of a game or live service update, including its setting, structure, rules, story flow, characters, objects, and peripherals available to the characters; interface design; and game modes.
- You will develop Prototypes in any tool of preference to prove design concept to team and iterate.
- Contribute by bringing new ideas to the table regarding every facet of the game.
- Coordinate with Leads to ensure that level design documentation and implementation are realistic ; participate in regular, hands-on interaction with Producer and Software Engineers to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
- Coordinate assigned development team to establish the creative vision, technical specifications, fun factor and product content for assigned products.
- You will establish relationships with our creative resources.
- Establish focus groups; train testers to play the game, making sure that they understand what is expected of the finished product and its live updates.
- Understand interface design ability and game design theories.
- Understand Live services and content creation in videogames.
- Experience presenting visions both verbally and on paper.
- Prototype ideas using platform of choice.
- Experience in a similar role a desired plus
- Documentation skills
- Systems Design background a desired plus
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Since we realize it takes excellent people to make outstanding games, we offer great benefits packages and a culture that are motivated by creativity and passion. You will also get a benefit package that includes medical and life insurance, pension plan, meal vouchers, stocks programs, fitness reimbursement, flex benefit program…and of course, free video games.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
We Thought You Might Also Want to Know:
- Click here if you want to know more about our location
- Please check out our digital magazine for more information about Living in Spain
Connect your future to ours. Inspire. Dream. Play.
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and maternity and paternity leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.