Environment Artist (Contract)
Environment Artists add the lighting to games and create an atmosphere as well as add realism, tone, and depth to a scene. Will also use lights and shaders to describe the various surface appearances of different materials; such as human skin, hair, fabric, and concrete. Through the use of their craft, will create visually balancing individual elements that enable game artists to produce a convincing character or environment. They need to use technical skill as well as their aesthetic judgment to create images that not only look good but are easy to render.
Environment Artists make sure there is consistency in lighting, color balance, and mood between the various elements of a shot or scene in the game. When appropriate, they ensure the CG looks photorealistic. Emphasize drama or narrative, and also establish and clarify location, weather, time of day, etc. Will be expected to respect and follow an established design theme for a sequence or project. They must be able to refer to the relevant production designs and apply that visual style as faithfully as possible, taking care to maintain continuity throughout the scene and game.
- Work collaboratively with game designers and technical artists to understand and interpret design requirements with the engine’s technical limitations
- Support the Art Director and Environment Lead in the overall vision for the game while taking ownership of environments and props as assigned.
- Model, texture, light, prepare, place, and edit in-game environments to include basketball arenas, lighting, and props
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and performance requirements
- Keep the artistic style consistent with defined visuals
- Background in Art preferred with a good sense of mood, color, and spatial balance
- Maya experience is required
- Shader tuning experience is required
- Mel scripting proficiency is a plus
- Understanding game production workflow and systems preferred
- Two or more years of production experience (either game or film)
- Being an avid gamer never hurts!