Character Artist (Contract)
The EA Create Art team creates compelling visual experiences across multiple genres and art styles. Visual art and technical art unite to create incredible characters and the worlds they inhabit. The Art team encompasses animation, characters, lighting, rigging, technical art, visual effects and worlds.
The Character Artist is responsible for building the geometry of organic and inorganic characters in the game. EA Character Artists are skilled in human character modeling of both realistic and stylized figures in Maya. Character models are highly complex and detailed in video games with some characters coming close to 500,000 polygons. The Character Modeler will show an interest in opportunities to innovate character creation across multiple teams within EA. They will work directly with the Lead Character Modeler and the AD to ensure content is meeting the quality bar.
What does EA look for:
- 2+ years’ experience in modeling and/or character art
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Strong portfolio in realistic character art. Please provide a link to a portfolio on your resume.
- Strong technical skills in working with Maya, Photoshop, and ZBrush
- Experience in prototyping and working closely with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of technical artists, artists, and engineers.
- Strong knowledge of emerging industry-standard tools, workflows, and techniques including physically based rendering.
- Demonstrates an expert understanding of human anatomy, clothing construction (wrinkle behavior), proportion, silhouette, and topology and how it relates to rendering and deformation.
- Demonstrates an understanding of a broad mix of character-related disciplines such as modeling, texturing, shading, rigging & binding, animation, facial animation, and blend shapes.
- Demonstrates the ability to articulate the art direction focus and art reviews through written and verbal communication to internal and external teams.
- Demonstrates an expert ability to prepare assets for physical simulations such as cloth, hair, etc.
- Demonstrates an excellent ability to interpret 2D reference material and scan data into 3D textured and surfaced models.
- Demonstrates an ability to document workflows that will be used by internal and external teams.
- Sports knowledge and enthusiasm a plus, but not a requirement!
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and maternity and paternity leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.