Character Artist - Apex Legends
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
We are looking for an accomplished and experienced Character Artist to join an established, experienced team of developers working on a AAA first person shooter in development at EA Vancouver. This is an opportunity to join a veteran team and help create the vision and execution of a compelling, immersive experience.
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios Game teams to achieve outstanding visuals, audio and technology. Our teams comprise of artists, engineers, technicians, designers and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound and experiences. We are an equal opportunity employer, who welcomes all qualified candidates. We value diverse teams, unified through collaboration, culture and craft, and encourage our team members to bring their unique perspectives to the table.
The EA Create Art team supports compelling visual experiences across multiple genres and art styles. Visual art and technical art unite to create incredible characters and the worlds they inhabit. The Art team encompasses animation, characters, lighting, rigging, technical art, visual effects and worlds.
What a Character Artist does at EA:
The character artist is an essential role in video game creation. You will create the cast of characters to populate the rich universe of the AAA action title. A character artist is a dynamic and efficient modeler with sculpting and texturing skills – able to create outstanding content along with an imagination that is always in motion. Someone who can create amazing models based on 2D concept art or 3D concept models.
The next great Character Artist also has:
- 6+ years of experience in video games. Film and television experience would also be considered.
- Production experience with character creation
- Excellent creature and human anatomical understanding.
- Sculpting, texturing and game-ready asset creation abilities.
- Experience with PBR materials and shaders.
- An understanding of clothing and cloth materials. .
- Knowledge of high fidelity modeling techniques, along with high-poly to low-poly surface/detail baking
- Expert knowledge of Maya, Max, Modo, or similar 3D modeling software
- Knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows
- Experience working with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity) is an advantage
- Visualize in three dimensions and work from limited reference material/concept art
- Have a sense of ‘story’ and character in a game asset – taking into account age, weathering and context
- Sense of proportion and composition with a eye for surface, colour, and detail
- Experience in cloth simulation is a desired skillset
- Experience in hard surface modeling is a benefit
- Character modeling and texturing
- UV layout and all the maps used
- Assets surfaced using 3D paint software, e.g. Substance Painter / Mari
- Examples to demonstrate understanding of physically based material properties
- Stylized assets are a plus
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and maternity and paternity leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.