Lead Game Designer
WHAT IMPACT CAN AN LEAD GAME DESIGNER HAVE AT ESG
East Side Games is looking for a dynamic, multi-talented Lead Game Designer to join our team. You are passionate about every aspect of Free to Play Games and are looking for the opportunity to build and grow the best team you can, first at the project level and then possibly beyond. You understand the people and skills needed for a successful mobile game, you are humble and a natural leader, and care about both the people you hire and the results that they achieve. You are focused on measurable results and are always eager to learn and grow so that you can help others do so! You love to see people and projects reach their full potential and you understand how content, game mechanics, and data are the key to balancing happy players and a healthy, growing business.
WHAT YOU MIGHT DO IN YOUR DAY TO DAY
- Work with Director of Product to prioritize features and content in order to maintain or improve KPIs
- Work with Data Analysts and Director of Product to plan features and to measure and improve them once launched
- Manage a team of designers to ensure timely delivery of content in order to reach team and company goals
- Set goals for your team and manage and measure progress towards them to constantly improve your team
- Support, mentor, and inspire designers and help them identify and achieve career goals
- Ensure robust, flexible processes are in place that keep the team focussed on results and opportunities
- Prototype game ideas (quick wins, long term goals, etc.) on paper, white boards, or in software format
- Play test our games regularly to understand the players’ point of view and help focus the team on the highest priorities
- Analyze other Social and Mobile games and communicate opportunities for our own games.
*** Duties & responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all inclusive.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ESG
- 5+ years of experience in the mobile, social or FTP game industry, or live game services.
- 2+ years of economy or systems design on a social or mobile game
- Demonstrated leadership skills, you’ve developed designers in their careers.
- Ability to recognize team needs and the areas that you need support in and to hire and train to address those issues
- A strong aptitude with and passion for analytics-driven design for mobile and social games
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders, team, and across studio on game changes, direction, and opportunities
- An entrepreneurial spirit & drive to take ownership of KPIs and ensure people are hitting them.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, & task management skills
- You enjoy games, particularly mobile games. You are on top of the latest games, trends, and what’s happening in live events.
- Hungry, humble, and smart and can use these three pillars to impact you and those around you.
- Comfortable in an environment where priorities and plans change rapidly, but with intention.
- Ability to communicate across disciplines and seniority levels.
- Solution-oriented, self-motivated, and diligent.
- Community-minded, whereby a collective mission of the project is a shared priority.
- Empathic, compassionate, and curious.
- Your values are governed by justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WORK AT ESG?
We are East Side Games - a pillar in beautiful Vancouver’s gaming community. Our mission is to create games that are easy to pick up, hard to put down, and don’t suck! We put players at the heart of our evolution, independence, and profitability. With their help, we’ve defined the narrative, idle gaming space with huge brands IPs that reach the lives of millions globally, with our most recent games RuPaul Drag Race Superstar and The Office: Somehow we Manage...And we’re just getting started!
Culture rules here, and that’s what makes us unique. We put people at the core of what we do. We believe that you can steer the ship of your career, and we anchor through support, trust, and connection. Tackle your challenges, share your learnings, then share a drink with the studio in our weekly Cheers Friday Announcements. Have we piqued your curiosity? Then check out our amazing Culture and Benefits!
WE’RE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATIONS OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
East Side Games are an equitable employer that values justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage people of marginalized backgrounds, particularly BIPOC and 2SLGBTQIA+QTBIPOC folks, to apply, and will acknowledge and value the strengths you bring to foster yours and the studio’s growth.
If this sounds like something you hoped for and more, and you’re enthused to build genre-defining narrative idle games, click the “Apply Here” button below. If now is not the right time for you but you know someone who would be a great match for us at East Side Games, check out our referral bonus here! Let’s build great games together