Senior Backend Engineer
As Senior Backend Engineer, you will build and maintain the technology to support the studio and teams across Drest. You will work in close collaboration with their game teams and enjoy a creative, challenging and collaborative workplace where your ideas will be every bit as valued as your programming expertise.
They're interested to speak with people who have an interest in new technologies, system development, large scale systems and of course games!
You'll be working remotely to begin with so you need to be naturally proactive and actively contribute with ideas and solutions and thrive working in an ever-evolving environment as Drest grows, both as a product and company.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Designing and implementing new systems, services and features
- Writing code and reviewing your peers’ in a collaborative environment using proven design patterns and experiential wisdom
- Making quick, sound estimates and propose alternatives to save on implementation time
- Identifying and driving codebase improvements with your peers
- Planning against and tackle new challenges that arise during development
- Optimising stack for performance and scalability
- Working closely with your Technical Delivery Manager to deliver features for the teams across Drest.
- Participating in knowledge sharing sessions to improve team’s knowledge and experience through learning and sharing
- Collaborating and communicating with other teams to define and build features to meet expectations
- Contributing to a positive development culture and create a safe and inclusive environment for all
- Adapting and growing alongside Drest, a dynamic environment and regularly learn and share
The skills and experience you'll need…
- Previous professional development supporting a live game in a fast paced environment
- A proficiency in architecting, designing and implementing server side components, features and systems for a scalable live game
- Expertise in at least one server side language (e.g. Node/Typescript, Python, C#, Java, PHP) with a desire to develop in Typescript
- A background with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL), NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Couchbase) and caching technologies (e.g. Redis)
- A specialisation with APIs and microservices
- An understanding of software engineering fundamentals (design patterns, architecture at scale, maintainability over time, data structures, robust API design, etc.)
- Knowledge of game architecture and technologies (gameplay, economy, graphics, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of CI/CD processes and a proficiency in the use of source control solutions such as GIT.
- A firm grasp of Agile principles and methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
Bonus points if you have…
- C# and Unity Knowledge.
- Client development experience
- A professional understanding of the challenges involved in maintaining, iterating and scaling a product
- Expertise supporting implementation of 3rd parties SDKs (e.g. Facebook, Firebase, etc.).
- A background with asynchronous, multi-threaded, parallel programming paradigms and other techniques to maximize responsiveness and do operations in background
- Experience with industry-standard bug reporting software such as JIRA
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
Just some of the benefits Drest offer include…
- Competitive salary
- EMI Share Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life Assurance
- 25 days annual leave