Associate Design Director
Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Lead Designer to assist in the creation of worlds in the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world. In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience.
As Lead Designer, you will be responsible for the core game designers on the project. You will work with the Design Director and other stakeholders to make the game vision a reality. You will direct and review the designs of the core gameplay teams to ensure quality and alignment. You will help define and implement best practices. You will responsible for organizing, mentoring and developing the core design team.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong set of design principles, and the ability to direct multiple areas of the game toward the same vision.
The role reports to Design Director
What will you do?
- Lead the core design of a free-to-play PC game built in UE4
- Contribute to and implement the vision of the game
- Mentor and lead the core design teams
- Establish and maintain good working practices
- Support recruitment where necessary
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders and external studios
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Design Director, and other Leads to contribute innovative ideas, hit deadlines and solve problems
- Evaluate metrics, user testing, and other sources of feedback, to identify issues and create a plan to solve them
What are we looking for?
- 6+ years experience across multiple products including 2+ years as a lead
- 2+ years live game and/or free-to-play experience
- An excellent understanding of multiplayer combat gameplay and live service game development
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- A broad understanding about what makes combat and systems fun
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Willingness to take initiative and responsibility to increase the quality of the game and health of the team
- What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience working with Unreal
- Experience working with vehicle-based combat.
- In-depth knowledge of Blueprint.
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones.
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Delivering legendary games since 1998, Wargaming has grown to become one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO gaming industry with 4500+ employees and more than 20 offices globally. Over 200 million players enjoy Wargaming’s titles across all major gaming platforms, including the massively popular World of Tanks and World of Warships.
Working in our company means always having interesting challenges and gaining valuable experience while working with top-class experts.
Take your place among our passionate and experienced team and bring out the best in yourself at Wargaming!