Discord is looking for an exceptional Managing Counsel, Commercial, to join our growing legal team. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet!
As Managing Counsel, Commercial, you will map out the strategic vision of the Commercial team in alignment with Legal and cross-functional senior management. You will lead and scale a team that defines and supports a wide variety of partnerships and deals to grow our user base, scale our revenue products, and help our company expand across the world. You'll get to work with some super inspiring people, including our Business Development, Marketing, Product, and Finance teams.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Corporate & Commercial Law, you'll have a significant impact on how the Legal team and the company grow.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on...
What You’ll Do
- Lead, grow, and develop a team of lawyers and contracts managers supporting strategic deals and business-critical partnerships across the company
- Roadmap, prioritize, and manage deal flow for the Commercial team
- Structure and negotiate complex, first-in-kind business development deals
- Provide practical advice and creative solutions to help the business make informed decisions about risk
- Develop effective and engaging educational materials and programs for clients
- Develop strategic roadmaps, flexible forms, practical fallbacks, and efficient processes that allow for scale and optionality
- Collaborate with Legal and cross-functional partners to optimize deal flow, improve automation, and streamline reporting
- Support the company's international growth, including launching strategic initiatives and corporate operations in new countries
What You Should Have
- A cover letter (this is mandatory!)
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 8+ years combined experience at a well-respected law firm and in-house legal department
- Foundation in complex technology transactions, with a willingness to get creative on deal terms when that's necessary to improve our business goals
- Deep commercial knowledge and expertise across a wide range of sub-disciplines (e.g., payments, content licensing, marketing, research, sponsorships)
- Experience managing and mentoring junior attorneys and staff
- Experience managing significant deal flow with multiple clients and complex, cross-functional projects under deadline pressure
- Clear communication skills and experience presenting complex legal issues and concise, practical legal advice to cross-functional senior management
- Curiosity and ability to jump into less familiar areas and learn while doing
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, strategically, and with sound judgment
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented tech company
- Familiarity with risks and conventions relating to non-US commercial transactions
- Broad experience in non-commercial areas of law, such as corporate transactions, product and regulatory counseling, privacy, or export control
- Appreciation for absurd and improbable hypotheticals
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $214,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $171,200/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!