Lead Motion Designer
The Discord family is looking for an experienced Lead Motion Designer and Animator. You will manage a small team of motion designers and do hands-on 2d and 3d motion concept development, design and animation, and creative storytelling.
You will work with our Creative Director, Project Managers, internal marketing clients, and a small but accomplished team of motion designers to create stunning motion design projects, from concept to completion.
As a member of Art School, Discord's internal creative studio, you'll help inform how we communicate the Discord brand to the world and support the creative development of all of our marketing needs. We are a collaborative team focused on creating high-quality experiences that enhance Discord above brands and competitors.
If you love creating head turning animated videos and managing motion designers, you'll fit right in at Discord.
What you'll be doing
- Lead and partner with other Motion Designers to build engaging narrative and technical motion design projects
- Work with our Creative Director and work with our teams (and sometimes agencies) to produce compelling videos
- Take projects from concept to delivery of short-form video content - storyboard, design, animate, render and ship to client
- Create video content for social media and advertising
- Create video trailers for communications and marketing needs
- Create videos for slates, bumpers, transitions, mnemonics, and more
- Manage a small team of motion designers
- Work with the motion designers, project managers, and internal clients to overcome any challenges and the creative process across a variety of motion design projects
- Work with the whole creative team (graphic designers, illustrations, and copywriters) on select projects
- Promote the motion design team across the company
- Communicate potential or discovered design and production issues or concerns including scheduling, workflow and other technical and nontechnical blockers with your team and Creative Director
What you should have
- 5+ years Motion Design experience in entertainment, gaming, or tech; In-house or agency experience
- Managed a small team of Motion Designers
- Illustrated and animated entertaining concepts in both 2D and 3D
- Expert knowledge of the Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects; familiarity with Maya or other apps
- An understanding of what it takes to create inspiring visual effects and principals
- A portfolio that exhibits creativity, technical and artistic skills
- Familiarity with AV Post Production workflows
- Experience with how to use effects in video and other mediums and their appropriate spaces
- Experience inspiring and motivating a creative team
- Willingness to jump in where needed to create top of the line assets
- Minimum of 5 years experience in 2D and 3D animation
- Minimum of 5 years experience with Photoshop, After Effects, Cinema 4D and any other 3D programs
- Portfolio required with application
- You can gesture with motion blur
- You can gesture without motion blur
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.