(Closed) Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure
Discord's Data Infrastructure team builds the systems and tools that power our big data platform. Our infrastructure provides Discord with batch and realtime data for running experiments, monitoring KPIs and ultimately making critical decisions. We also supply data to Discord's product surfaces and our Machine Learning platform. Billions of events flow through our ingestion pipelines daily and our team is charged with making sure those systems are reliable.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead our Data Infrastructure team to help us scale to the next level. As a manager responsible for the Data Infrastructure team, you will have significant leadership and impact on the evolution of Discord's streaming and batch data systems.
What you'll be doing
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive the vision and roadmap for the Data Infrastructure team by collaborating with your team and stakeholders across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- You have 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- You've worked with complex distributed systems deployed at scale
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love to roll up your sleeves and getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new technologies to leverage to solve technical problems
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Kafka, Beam)
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups