(Closed) Director of Community
Community is the backbone of Discord. Actually, it might be the whole skeletal system.
Our Partners are our middle ear bones. They help us hear what's going on and make sure we're enabling communities of any size to flourish. Verified Servers are the best metacarpal bones we could ask for, connecting people to the games and things they love through Discord. And our Hypesquaders? They're the bacteria in our lungs, spreading Discord to all with each sneeze.
We never said it was a normal body. But it's ours and it's growing…. We're looking for someone super passionate and creative to shape our nonlinear path forward as Discord reaches even more communities. In this role, you'll oversee a cohesive strategy of our community, social and event efforts, lead a devoted team, and bring delight and fun to Discord along the way.
What you'll be doing
- Develop and drive an overarching community strategy across multiple channels to delight Discord superfans
- Define and support business-driven objectives and deliverables for Community, Social, and Event teams
- Manage and grow a passionate team of marketers, and bring on additional dreamers and doers to join our team
- Design authentic initiatives that engage with our vibrant and active online communities within and outside of Discord, alongside the Creative team
- Strengthen and reinforce community guidelines in partnership with Trust/Safety and Communications teams to foster an inclusive, safe environment for everyone
- Maintain a pulse check on the overall community and brand sentiment
- Grow and evolve existing programs such as HypeSquad, Partner Program & Verified Server Program
- Measure the performance and success of community efforts to increase their engagement and reach
- Identify and partner with emerging and/or thriving communities of all sizes on Discord to support their growth
- Champion and embody the unique values and tone that make Discord, Discord
What you should have
- Big-picture, high level strategic thinking to connect the dots
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills—a love to connect with people and bring groups together
- Track record as a great people manager who built a great team
- Curiosity to learn and a desire to act and get (all kinds of) things done!
- 8-10 years of strong marketing or branding experience, such as communications, advertising, social, entertainment, PR or events
- Track record of building and scaling community programs for a beloved brand/platform
- Understanding of or experience with content creators
- Instinct for problem-solving and troubleshooting—especially when things get chaotic
- A passion for gaming and someone who uses Discord on a regular basis!
- Understanding of the best server moderation and community practices
- A good pulse on internet culture, emerging trends and topics
- A creative or non-traditional background
- Knowledge of communities including Twitch, Facebook Gaming, YouTube, Mixer, and Reddit
- Familiarity or experience with NPS or brand tracking
- Side hobbies or projects related to community or gaming
- Experience using ZenDesk, SendGrid, or Hubspot
- Multilingual; experience working internationally, with international partners or audiences
- Can eat vanilla ice cream for every meal of the day