Artist, Character - DCUO
ABOUT OUR STUDIO
Dimensional Ink Games (DIG) is a Daybreak Game Company studio located in northwest Austin with a view of rolling hillsides. Our studio is centered around bringing comic adventures to life. You own your destiny in our games, and in your career here. We are a team that believes in passionately working towards our goals. Our core goal is developing DC Universe Online, and we plan to continue making it one of the best superhero video games available. We are building teams as diverse as our ideas, and you are invited to join in the adventure with us as we explore new worlds and characters year-round!
At DIG, we live our values every day; these values guide our culture and shape how we approach each other and our work:
- Innovative Ownership: Be an owner, build owners
We know that to succeed means to fail but fail wisely and come back better. Don’t do something just because it’s always been done that way. Be open to learning from all sources and be willing to teach all. Work smart and pursue your craft with passion.
- Empathy: Walk in their shoes
We take the time to see from the perspectives of our team members and our players. We care deeply, behave positively, and communicate candidly. Emotional intelligence allows our team to act with respect and appreciate each another (and ourselves).
- Collaboration: See the best idea, not have the best idea
We are better together than by ourselves, so we know that a great idea can come from anywhere. We are committed to hiring the best-fitting team members who amplify our craftsmanship and inspire us all to grow.
- Honesty/Humility: Integrity matters
We have the self-reflection to hold ourselves accountable and support those who also hold themselves accountable. Be transparent to build trust and a team that is empowered to be bold and authentic. We trust our team members and their feedback.
The Character Artist will have a drive to create and realize our vision through creation of a wide variety of highly detailed characters and creatures in the Live Development at Austin, TX reporting to the Art Director, this position will be responsible for:
- Create high resolution 3D sculpts of organic/hard surface characters/creatures/weapons/props.
- Ensure consistency and quality of own work.
- Understand memory and budgets and work within those constraints.
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction.
- Collaborate with concept artists and art direction to create high quality characters and creatures
- Work with Art Director, Lead Character Artist and Character Team in technical/aesthetic problem solving efforts.
- Set and maintain a high level of quality across internal team and external vendors.
- Skin characters to existing skeletal rigs
- Years of Experience, Education, and/or Certification…
- 3+ years of professional character art experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience as a character artist.
- 3 years of experience in game development generating characters using Maya and ZBrush.
- Shipped at least one AAA product as a Character Artist.
- Expertise in character sculpting principles including anatomy, cloth, hard surfaces, weight, and appeal.
- Experience modeling and weighting for body mechanics in Maya.
- Additionally, you should possess
- High attention to detail
- Ability to perform well under pressure and deliver work in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Self-directed, receptive to critique and feedback.
- Passion for video games
- Originality and creativity
- Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire work with the team to find solutions.
- Experience with Unreal development tools and pipeline
- Experience working with outside vendors, vetting, providing feedback, building and maintaining a set of character creation guides and best practices.
Be certain to include the web link to your art portfolio.
We invite you to get in the game with us and help us make exciting experiences!
ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Daybreak Game Company LLC is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games. Best known for blockbuster hits and franchises such as DC Universe™ Online, PlanetSide®, EverQuest®, and Dungeons and Dragons Online®, Daybreak creates, develops, and provides compelling online entertainment for millions of gamers worldwide. We are the game publisher for Darkpaw Studios, Rogue Planet Gaming Studio, Dimensional Ink Games, and Standing Stone Games. To top it off, we are making games in three of the coolest cities in the United States: San Diego, Austin, and Boston. We make games that bring people together and build lasting communities and are totally devoted to delivering the ultimate gaming experience!
Be Aware of Fraudulent Recruiting Activities
Daybreak Game Company will never ask applicants for social security numbers, date of birth, bank account information or other sensitive information in job applications. Additionally, our recruiters do not communicate with applicants through free e-mail accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or through online messaging apps (WhatsApp, Hangouts). We will never ask applicants to provide payment during the hiring process or extend an offer without conducting a phone, live video or in-person interview. Please contact Daybreak Game Company’s People & Culture team at [email protected] if you encounter a recruiter or see a job opportunity that seems suspicious.
**Daybreak Game Company, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Diversity in the workplace.**