US Weekend Writer
US Weekend Writer - Junior
Dexerto is looking for a talented writer to work from home on weekends. You must be based in the USA.
You should be a versatile writer who is able to source and write compelling stories about a variety of subjects, including esports, big gaming franchises, and online culture (streamers, YouTubers, plus TikTok and Instagram personalities). Everything that Dexerto is known for.
Whilst you won’t be expected to know everything about every single esport, game or streamer, we are looking for someone who has a broad knowledge, but can also specialise in a few areas such as Call of Duty, Fortnite, or more.
Experience of writing for a publication is advantageous, but this is a role in which talent is more important, so if you can demonstrate your writing skills, knowledge, and passion we want to hear from you. See Application instructions below.
Some knowledge of SEO and social media is also desirable – as well as writing for dexerto.com, you will have to publish some of your work on Twitter and Facebook. Basic Photoshop skills are also desirable.
We pay competitive rates depending on experience.
- Understanding and knowledge of esports, gaming, and online culture
- A snappy and compelling writing style
- Able to write to short deadlines under pressure
- Have a keen attention to detail – can spot grammatical errors and fact check.
- Creative ability – able to think of feature ideas and suggest news stories that will resonate with our audience
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Confident with social media
- SEO knowledge desirable but not essential
- Own computing equipment that can run Photoshop and be able to use it competently
- Experience with content management systems is desirable
- Able to work at weekends (16 hours) without other education or job commitments
- Be committed to good time management
- Personable with good communication skills
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ AND DO THIS
Submit your resume with a detailed cover letter explaining how your skills and experience relate to the role.
We would like to see links to your previous work if possible, as well as a 350 word news article (linked via Google Docs or similar) on a big current news story in esports, gaming or online culture.
The story must appeal to Dexerto’s audience and be written in the style of our content. We would also like one feature idea that you think would resonate with our audience. If you don’t have links to previously published work, not to worry, but please send two news stories about different subjects. You must do these tasks or you will not be considered for the role.