(Closed) US Call of Duty Writer
Dexerto is looking for a talented full-time US-based writer who can specialise in Call of Duty.
You should be an ambitious writer who is able to source and write compelling stories that will appeal to a Call of Duty audience. However, you will need to have the versatility to be able to write about other subjects that Dexerto is known for, including other esports and gaming franchises, as well as online culture (streamers, YouTubers, Instagram personalities).
In terms of CoD, you need to have encyclopaedic knowledge of the game, its history and the esport. Ideally, you’ll have written about Call of Duty for a publication and have good contacts within the scene, but this is a role in which talent is more important, so if you can demonstrate your writing skills, knowledge and ambition, we want to hear from you. See Application instructions below.
Some knowledge of SEO and social media is also desirable – as well as writing for dexerto.com, you will have to publish some of your work on Twitter and Facebook. Basic Photoshop skills are also desirable.
- Expert knowledge of Call of Duty – the game and the esport
- Broader knowledge of esports and online culture
- A snappy and compelling writing style
- Able to write to short deadlines under pressure
- Have a keen attention to detail – can spot grammatical errors and fact check.
- Creative ability – able think of feature ideas and suggest news stories that will resonate with our audience
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Is confident with social media
- SEO knowledge desirable but not essential
- Own computing equipment that can run Photoshop and be able to use it competently
- Experience with content management systems is desirable
- Able to work full-time hours (40) without other education or job commitments
- Be committed to good time management
- Is ambitious with a drive to learn and improve
- Personable with good communication skills
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Bonus opportunities
- Benefits from Dexerto partners
- Future opportunities within a fast growing business
- Work remotely
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ AND DO THIS
Submit your resume with a detailed cover letter explaining how your skills and experience relate to the role. We would like to see links to your previous work if possible, as well as two 350 word news articles (linked via Google Docs or similar) – one on a big current news story in Call of Duty and one on another subject that would appeal to our audience. The stories must be written in the style of our content. We would also like one Call of Duty feature idea that you think would resonate with our audience. You must do these tasks or you will not be considered for the role