(Closed) Trending News Writer
Dexerto is looking for talented entertainment and trending news writers.
You should be a versatile writer who is able to source and write compelling news stories and features about the biggest personalities and trending moments in the world of streaming, YouTube and influencer culture.
As well as covering household names in gaming entertainment like Valkyrae and Dr Disrespect, you will have your finger on the pulse and be able to identify trends, and recommend topics that Dexerto should be covering. Together with your colleagues, you will be expected to develop and maintain content plans and strategies, using a combination of your knowledge, SEO results and data analysis.
Knowledge of social media is desirable, for as well as writing for dexerto.com, you may have to publish some of your work on Twitter and Facebook. Basic Photoshop skills are also desirable.
Experience of writing for a publication is advantageous, but it is also important that you can demonstrate your passion for the fast-paced world of streaming and influencer culture. We’re looking for people who love playing games and understand exactly what content gamers are looking for.
- Understanding and knowledge of gaming entertainment and streamer culture
- A snappy and compelling writing style
- Able to write to short deadlines under pressure
- Have a keen attention to detail – can spot grammatical errors and fact check
- Creative ability – able think of feature ideas and suggest news stories that will resonate with our audience
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Is confident with social media
- SEO knowledge desirable but not essential
- Own computing equipment that can run Photoshop and be able to use it competently
- Experience with content management systems is desirable
- Able to work full-time hours (40) without other education or job commitments
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ AND DO THIS
Submit your resume with a detailed cover letter explaining how your skills and experience relate to the role. We would like to see links to your previous work, as well as a 350 word news article (linked via Google Docs or similar) on a current trending news story. The story must appeal to Dexerto’s audience and be written in the style of our content. We would also like one feature idea that you think would resonate with our audience. You must do these tasks or you will not be considered for the role.