Esports Writer (Remote) (Junior)
Dexerto are looking for talented esports writers.
You should be a versatile writer who is able to source and write compelling content about a variety of esports, especially League of Legends and / or CSGO. You will have an in-depth knowledge of a select number of esports - you should not only play the games but also be an avid watcher of the pro tournaments. You’ll know everything from the champions or maps to the key personalities and teams, enabling you to write news stories, opinion pieces and conduct interviews.
The ideal candidate would be able to break news stories for Dexerto, so some contacts within the pro scene would be desirable.
Other desirable skills include knowledge of SEO and social media – as well as writing for dexerto.com, you will have to publish some of your work on Twitter and Facebook. Basic Photoshop skills are also needed.
Experience of writing for a publication is advantageous, but this is a role in which talent is more important, so if you can demonstrate your writing skills, knowledge, and passion, we want to hear from you.
See Application instructions below.
- Understanding and knowledge of esports
- A snappy and compelling writing style
- Able to write to short deadlines under pressure
- Have a keen attention to detail – can spot grammatical errors and fact check.
- Creative ability – able think of feature ideas and suggest news stories that will resonate with our audience
- Able to act independently on writing tasks
- Is confident with social media
- SEO knowledge desirable but not essential
- Own computing equipment that can run Photoshop and be able to use it competently
- Experience with content management systems is desirable
- Able to work full-time hours (40) without other education or job commitments
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ AND DO THIS
Submit your resume with a detailed cover letter explaining how your skills and experience relate to the role. We would like to see links to your previous work if possible, as well as a 350 word news article (linked via Google Docs or similar) on a big current news story in esports. The story must appeal to Dexerto’s audience and be written in the style of our content. We would also like one feature idea that you think would resonate with our audience. You must do these tasks or you will not be considered for the role