Technical Director- PlanetSide 2
Here at Daybreak, we make games that bring people together: to build them and to play them. Together we have built and introduced some of the most famed and beloved gaming franchises to millions of players worldwide including H1Z1®, DC Universe™ Online, PlanetSide®, and EverQuest®.
Daybreakers are obsessed with the entire creation process and our passion for play is what makes us one with our players. From group raiding epics in Norrath to watching our favorite streamers ravage zombies in a post-apocalypse world, we are devoted to delivering the ultimate gaming experience to our communities.
Let’s make games better together. Are you up for the challenge? Here’s some specifics on what we’re looking for: an experienced and highly motivated Technical Director for leading the Game Dev team-members, activities and the resources of the team working on PlanetSide 2.
The Technical Director is accountable for establishing a link between the design and artistic visions of the game and its technical implementation. We require someone proficient with proven techniques to overcome technical obstacles during game production.
- Responsible for the day to day running of Technology & Distribution Department in support of the game title technology plans in partnership with Technical leadership
- Work closely with key stakeholders to ensure the PS2’s technical, gameplay, aesthetic and quality standards are met while supporting production in moving forward on schedule and on budget
- Work closely with the Head of Studio, production teams, and department leads to ensure adequate, efficient, and effective project staffing and to support producers to provide solutions and to resolve staffing conflicts across the studio
- Fields the technology requests from all projects/studio, and works with Department Head to adequately identify and prioritize development tasks
- Updates all stakeholders of progress and implementation of requested features and new technology
- Assists in the roll-out of any pertinent technology, including in-house demo/training and provides clear and accurate documentation
- Work with HR to conduct quarterly talent reviews and deliver performance review feedback for all Creative team members
- Identify departmental hiring needs and work with Recruiting team to hire and onboard the best talent
- Organize regular communication with internal department leads to ensure departments are running smoothly from one episode to the next and across seasons and franchises
- Produce productivity and labor reports as required
- Maintain shared staffing capacity plans for all disciplines and development teams
- Triage urgent staffing needs in a timely manner, prioritizing the needs of the studio
- In partnership with Department Head and Leads, develop training and on-boarding plans for department personnel
- Identify and strategize for increased efficiency and better workflow, including suggestions for new technology, tracking tools, etc.
- Shepherd cross-departmental and studio-level documentation/projects as needed
- Liaison for independent contractors hired on a project-basis
- Provide mentoring and coaching to team
- Serve as a point person and liaison with external third-party production service teams and companies
- Manage deliverables from third-party production service providers as needed
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Possess superior programming and software development methodologies
- Extensive experience supervising and mentoring other engineers
- Extensive experience in project management (Jira, Hansoft, Agile)
- Understanding of various 3D software tools
- Bachelor's degree in computer/software engineering or related disciplines
Minimum 5 years’ experience in:
- C++ programming in game development (PC and/or console)
- Programming for networked multi-player games with a client/server architecture
- Establishing and maintaining best engineering standards for object oriented software development
- Working with UE4 (Unreal Engine 4) and similar game engines
- SQL databases
- Familiarity with PERL, Python and C#
- Diagnosing and fixing issues in live games such that downtime and risk are minimized
Think you’re Daybreaker material? Send us your resume and cover letter. We are looking for people who don’t just upload their basic resume, but rather, are looking to get noticed. So, go ahead, impress us!
Daybreak Game Company LLC is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games. Best known for blockbuster hits and franchises such as H1Z1®, DC Universe™ Online, PlanetSide®, and EverQuest®, Daybreak creates, develops, and provides compelling online entertainment for millions of gamers worldwide. To top it off, we are making games in two of the coolest cities in the United States: San Diego, California, and Austin, Texas.
Daybreak Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Diversity in the Workplace.
About Daybreak San Diego:
Our headquarters is where gaming culture and the So Cal vibe collide; creating a vibrant work environment that epitomizes our belief that every day should be well played. From our four-legged canine friends who can accompany us to work each day to company movie viewings, the perks of working at Daybreak San Diego extend well beyond the beautiful weather in this prime location. Access to the local gym, as well as on-site fitness classes, board game nights, and a strong appreciation for the local craft brew scene ( we even turned one of our original game servers into an on-site kegerator ) are just some of the ways that working at Daybreak San Diego isn’t just about having job; it’s about being part of a community.