Crytek is looking for a passionate, imaginative Narrative Designer to join the team in Frankfurt, Germany full time. The successful candidate will become a key member of our in-house narrative team and be a part of world-building, design, writing, and technical implementation of game narrative on exciting titles.
Our ideal candidate will bring both high-level writing and technical skills to the table, both aspects which will of which will require attention to detail, and if not direct experience, related experience and the ability to learn quickly. In the writing department, we are looking for someone who is able to pivot between different writing styles, formats, and tones across multiple projects. Please provide writing samples that show off this breadth.
Our team is highly collaborative, and we are looking for a Narrative Designer who is able to write fluidly in a shared world; can provide clear, constructive feedback on texts written by others; and can work across departments to develop storytelling elements.
Please upload at least three writing samples – combined into one PDF – via the online application form under “portfolio.”
Qualified applicants will be asked to complete a Narrative Design test.
- Write. This includes: character creation, world building, short fiction, dialogue, lore-related video scripts, environment prop texts, weapon names, UI elements, and anything else you have ever seen in a video game that involves words.
- Collaborate with the narrative team and across departments on worldbuilding, storytelling, and technical integration.
- Integrate narrative elements into games using proprietary game development tools
- Outstanding English communication skills, both verbal and written
- An interest in storytelling in all forms
- Exceptional proofreading and copyediting skills
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback, and to iterate on your work
- Experience with CRYENGINE, or another game engine
- Basic scripting knowledge (Python and/or C++)
- Familiarity with Excel, JIRA, Word, Teams a plus
- General knowledge surrounding video game narrative, interactive storytelling, and transmedial entertainment
- Familiarity with American English grammatical conventions
- Familiarity with localization pipelines a plus
- Willing to relocate to Frankfurt am Main area , Germany.
What you can expect from us
- A refreshing yet highly professional atmosphere in a diverse team.
- Flexible work time.
- Free public transportation ticket, which lets you use public transport free of charge 24/7.
- Free German lessons
- Company language is English. Any additional language is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Extensive assistance with getting visa, work permits and communication with local authorities.
- Relocation support.
- A company apartment for your first few months and help in finding a private apartment.