Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square-Enix family, is constantly on the hunt for top-tier gaming talent worldwide. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best talent available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming today. 20+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio’s 1000+ years of combined game industry experience provides a rich tapestry of tested and new ideas to draw from and has established us as one of the best studios in the world to work for.
Join now to be part of the formative stages of a new AAA game being built in our Redwood City studio, just south of San Francisco. Benefits for this full-time position include competitive salary, health insurance options to suit all lifestyles, generous paid time-off, as well as other studio and corporate perks, such as a free gym and discounts on games and goodies.
This Camera Designer, working under the Lead Designer and/or the Game Director, will be responsible for designing, implementing, and fine-tuning the game design cameras and related gameplay in levels and cinematics to ensure a player's smooth and seamless journey through a rich and epic narrative experience. A successful Camera Designer will be able to collaborate with Artists, Animators and other Designers to create tools and camera solutions that will positively impact the player experience, and create exciting moments within our dynamic worlds.
- Evaluate and initiate processes, tools, and camera features pertaining to title/franchise specific camera design.
- Coordinate directly with representatives of multiple departments to solve design challenges, create exceptional narrative storytelling, remove production bottlenecks and clearly communicate design needs.
- Work with the lead designer to understand "level briefs" and creative direction for the gameplay space.
- Work with system designers to ensure coordination between system design and implementation within the levels.
- Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline production.
- Conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving.
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to place assigned work within the project as a whole and coordinate with other Designers to ensure a seamless player experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Current on industry trends as it relates to modern game design and level design concepts.
- Ability to document visual map design and written walkthroughs quickly and concisely in a provided specification format.
- Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency.
- Solid understanding of game art and processes to help in the development of workflow schedules and prioritization
- Capacity to ramp up quickly with custom toolsets and deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demands.
- 3-5 years of game design experience in a camera design role, specifically for 3rd person action adventure titles.
- At least 1 project shipped for a AAA console title in a design capacity.
- Demonstrated understanding of scripting systems required.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.