Compulsion Games is a first-party game studio and subsidiary of Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios, located in Montreal, Canada.
We are a boutique team of industry veterans, who trust and respect each other and love our craft. Our games have won praise for their art, music, world-building and narrative. We are now working on our next project!
We like to take on troublesome themes. We try to make characters with compelling, human flaws. We mix darkness and comedy. We are often inspired by history, literature, and art history.
We are looking for an experienced game writer to help craft and execute game stories that stay with the player emotionally.
- Work with level designers and artists to give emotional and thematic meaning to gameplay
- Write dialogue and any other narrative text as needed
- Conceive & develop environmental narrative with art team
- Will own certain aspects of narrative, e.g. game areas or narrative delivery systems
- 5+ years experience creating and designing narrative for AAA games and/or narrative indie games
- Knowledge and love of culture beyond SF&F
- Experience with Unreal and scripting a plus
- Experience writing in other media a plus
- Experience in player-centric storytelling (such as DMing D&D) a plus An ear for regional dialects a plus