Character Tech Artist
Cold Iron is seeking an experienced Character Tech Artist to join our world class team on our next AAA title for consoles and PC! Do you excel in creating tools and pipelines for animating characters, and love seeing the results come alive in the game? Are you a passionate game developer looking to create the best player experience possible? Join our creative, collaborative studio where you will help forge a visually inspiring, technically challenging new game world.
Here’s the most important one: Do you do it all for the game? Because you know that your talents are needed to make sure that even the best development teams get an awesome experience out the door?
Awesome. Come join our creative, collaborative studio where you’ll own the product management responsibilities for a tight, integrated team of game developers.
Your Day to Day
You can expect to be responsible and accountable for the following:
- Help establish processes to fulfill the game vision and elevate the art
- Develop and maintain custom animation rigs, skeletons, and motion capture tools for both player and enemy characters
- Skin in Maya and implement character art assets inside of Unreal Engine 4
- Create and maintain Animation tools inside and outside of Unreal Engine 4
- Collaborate with other artists and designers to accomplish technically challenging goals
- Collaborate with design to drive the player experience through movement
- Assist in establishing pipelines for the best results in a given amount of time
- Help define and maintain the high quality bar for the game
- Assist in scoping work for on time milestone deliveries
- Guide and mentor other team members
Your Career Progression
Do the best work of your career! No, really, that’s what we expect of you. Come aboard and work with industry veterans all working to improve their craft and become better game developers. Your portfolio of experience will grow, and the size of the audience you reach will expand exponentially. The small team atmosphere allows you to contribute more and have greater ownership over what you do day to day.
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong proficiency as a Character Tech Artist or TD
- Professional experience with animation technical work; rigging, skinning, implementation
- Strong knowledge of current game art pipelines and methodologies
- Ability to tackle challenges and problem solve with a strong sense of ownership
- Ability to work closely with many other disciplines and be a team player
- Understanding of core principles of animation and how they translate to games
- Understanding of how animation can help drive the player experience
- Experience with Maya and/or other scripting languages
- Passion for playing and creating games
Would Love to See
- Experience with Unreal Blueprints and animation system
- Experience with character customization systems
- Experience with Unreal Engine and/or 3D art creation applications
Applicants without a portfolio will not be considered.
About our Location
Cold Iron is a team of passionate game developers located in San Jose, California. We’re a diverse group of veterans with decades of experience developing and launching award-winning MMO and action titles on PC and console.
Exceptional employee benefits: 18 days PTO first year; Robust Medical, Dental, Vision insurance coverage for entire family; Company matched 401k vested immediately; Flex Spending Accounts, generous tuition reimbursements, ultra-creative environment.
**Daybreak Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Diversity in the workplace.**
- Employment agencies: Please don't contact this job post with unsolicited services or offers*