Lead Technical Artist
Lead Technical Artist
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic Lead Technical Artist to join our incredible Southam studio close to Leamington Spa, and act as the key conduit between our talented artists and programmers on one of our prestigious BAFTA-nominated titles.
This is an opportunity to work with some of the industry’s best, as well as some of its future stars, you will be given a great balance of scope and support to create fantastic visuals by enabling our artistic and technical teams.
At Codemasters we are known for creating some of the most cutting-edge and visceral game experiences and central to this success is the technical art capability of the studio. This is your chance to join an illustrious peer group of like-minded professionals.
You will work with key stakeholders to support art pipelines, workflows and optimisation processes to deliver streamlined production and jaw-dropping visual quality. You will also take shared responsible for improving art pipelines and workflows for cutting-edge console games and creating tools to support the art team.
- Be the conduit between the programming and art disciplines, translating the needs of the art team into practical, programmable solutions.
- Defining our content pipelines, budgets and optimisation processes, for streamlined production and jaw-dropping visual quality.
- Introducing new art and graphical techniques to keep Codemasters at the cutting edge of computer graphics and recommend training requirements.
- Proactively provide solutions and guidance to continuously improve the visual and technical quality of the assets created and the workflows and productivity of the art teams.
- Use script-level programming to create tools for the art team.
- Spot, log and track anomalies and blockers through to removal, identifying & implementing solutions.
- Management of the Tech Art to support and develop their career and skills.
- Liaison with Technical Art throughout the company to share knowledge, to find unified solutions and best practices.
- Production coordination to prioritise work and features to maximise benefit in the time available.
- Planning and prioritising the Tools workload to improve the reliability and productivity of the projects Tool set.
- An analytical mindset capable of translating high level artistic concepts into reality and defining the processes and workflows in order to achieve them.
- Ability to break complex techniques into understandable language and communicate effectively to others.
- Help improve the technical capabilities of content creators throughout the studio.
Highly Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Full lifecycle experience as either a Senior or Principal Technical Artist on at least two shipped console titles, using current-generation art techniques and processes.
- Experience of development on console and PC platforms.
- Experience of game engines and toolsets, such as Unreal or Unity.
- Experience with Physically Based Rendering techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of commonly used programming languages, in particular MaxScript, C# and HLSL.
- 3DS Max SDK, Max Script or PyMxs development.
- Scripting language experience.
- Solid skills in 3DS Max and Photoshop.
- An ideal candidate will be highly driven and self-motivated
- Attention to detail
- Relentless visual critiquing skills!
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Good teamwork skills
- A passion for videogames and enthusiastic approach to collaborative artwork creation.