This Technical Design position is for the Core Gameplay Pillar. Our team designs and develops actor focused systems used across Squadron 42, the Star Citizen Persistent Universe, and Theatres of War.
We are at the heart of actor gameplay. Working closely with other teams across the company, we shape the core gameplay loops that set the standard across all products. By designing innovative gameplay systems, implementing creative solutions to technical challenges, and delivering engaging experiences of the highest quality, we strive to fulfil the promise this ambitious property has to offer.
Founded in 2012, Cloud Imperium Games creates cutting-edge videogames that defy expectations. We’re currently developing Star Citizen, a record-breaking multiplayer online space sim, and Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
What does a Technical Designer at CIG do?
- Support other designers in crafting the vision, interface, and moment-to-moment gameplay for competitive combined arms levels.
- Construct prototypes and test levels that showcase, validate and document game features, systems, and bespoke experiences.
- Own the implementation, performance, and maintenance of level scripting in existing levels.
- Collaborate with environment and level design teams to publish high quality levels that stretch the capabilities of the engine and challenge the expectations of players.
- Work closely with UI, art and programming teams to complete front end and in-game user interface features using modern UI/UX best practices.
- Evaluate and respond to feedback from playtesting, the development team, and design management to improve the user experience.
- Identify and resolve issues while working with other teams to discover, define and share best practices, workflow optimizations and development tools.
What do we ask for?
- Experience in game development in a technical level design capacity.
- Affinity for 3D game editors and tools.
- Passion for solving complex game design problems using visual and text-based scripting and programming languages. Experience with C++ preferred.
- Eagerness to hear feedback and willingness to iterate on design.
- Inherent ability to bring out the best in people around you, remain positive, and motivate and influence other disciplines.
- An absolute passion for gaming!
At Cloud Imperium Games we are looking for several Level Designers with various levels of experience – from junior all the way to senior, and beyond! Therefore, if you believe you can take us to the next level, then please apply immediately!
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options
We are an equal opportunities employer. We thrive on inclusivity here at CIG. You can be sure we do not discriminate against race, nationality, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion, belief… We thrive to create a workplace where our people feel included, respected and valued and facilitate an environment which fosters innovation and creativity.