Cloud Imperium Games LA is looking for a talented Senior Writer to join the Narrative Team to craft unique and fun story experiences for Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Whether its scripting mission content, crafting an alien culture, or generating dialogue for the numerous NPCs, the Narrative team interfaces with almost all the other teams in the company to build an immersive universe for our players. We are looking for someone who’s detail-oriented while keeping sight of the creative vision and eager to help push the boundaries of storytelling and gameplay.
Founded in 2012, Cloud Imperium Games creates cutting-edge videogames that defy expectations. We’re currently developing Star Citizen, a record-breaking multiplayer online space sim, and Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
What does a Senior Writer at CIG do?
- Assist in the development of CIG’s intellectual properties, focused on writing cinematic style scripts, non-linear scripts, spreadsheets of random lines, short fiction, design docs and copy to help in the construction of the Star Citizen universe.
- Work closely with directors, game designers and artists to develop epic entertainment experiences.
- Create and collaborate on strong, dynamic characters with compelling and believable voices.
- Represent the writing department to make sure that designs and assets conform to pre-existing lore, generate lore to support new design and art choices, and generally maintain level of quality throughout published materials.
- Represent the writing department and Cloud Imperium Games when interacting with the community. We are a forward-facing company, who are developing an exciting new universe in full view of the public.
What do we expect from our Senior Writer?
- Professional experience as a Writer (film/tv, games, narrative designer, or editor) with knowledge of game development process (MMO particularly) and/or interactive storytelling.
- Be collaborative. We go through a lot of rewriting and internal review, can work with constructive criticism, and incorporate notes into revisions.
- Be proactive and self-motivated, capable of working with minimal supervision while adhering to the creative vision of the game.
- An ability to change gears quickly: go from writing a doc about religion in an alien civilization to a two-hundred-word blurb about a ship rocket for our Marketing department.
- Excellent English communication and written skills.
So, if you are an enthusiastic and self-starting writer, please apply for this role immediately!
CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.
Covid-19 Hiring Update
During the pandemic we transitioned to a temporary work-from-home model. We are now working through a gradual return to office plan as improvements of the COVID-19 situation will allow. We’re continuing to interview and hire during this time and while Cloud Imperium is overall an in-office operating company, some roles will start out remotely and others will be in-office from day one of employment. As a general policy, we have a Flexitime policy arrangement that allows for some remote working if and when it meets the needs of the role and the company. The details can be discussed during the interview stage. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you. Also, we follow mask requirements as they keep being updated per local regulations when in studio and we're also requiring full vaccination in order to work in studio.
We are aware of people receiving job offers that fraudulently allege to be from CIG. These types of fraud can be carried out through false websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal info like bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment.
If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at info[@]cloudimperiumgames.com with any information you may have.