Cloud Imperium is looking for a Game Designer with a passion for storytelling to join the Narrative Team as an embedded Narrative Designer. You will get to work as an intermediary between the Narrative, AI, and Design department to help make the Star Citizen universe come alive through character and story. We’re looking for a motivated, self-starter who is eager to craft player experiences that push the boundaries of both storytelling and gameplay.
Founded in 2012, Cloud Imperium Games creates cutting-edge videogames that defy expectations. We’re currently developing Star Citizen, a record-breaking multiplayer online space sim, and Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
What does a Narrative Designer at CIG do?
- Ensure the consistency of the game’s narrative voice and execution on creative vision throughout production, from initial concept and foundational development, character development, important narrative milestones, through to final polish.
- You will help prototype NPC behaviors to create dynamic and interesting characters for the players to experience.
- You will work with your teammates and other disciplines including Design and QA to ensure all assets are implemented as intended and meet the quality bar CIG is known for.
- Under the direction of the Narrative Director, act as a champion of story, characters, thematic coherence, and Narrative through gameplay across development.
- Collaborate with the Design Team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools as well as developing gameplay features that will support and convey the story.
What do we expect from our Narrative Designer?
- Professional experience in Game Design with knowledge of contemporary gameplay and narrative design.
- Be collaborative. We go through a lot of internal review, be able to work with constructive criticism and incorporate notes into revisions.
- Experience working with NPC AI Systems and Mission Scripting.
- Fluency in CryEngine, Lumberyard, Unreal Engine, or AAA-level game engine.
- A good balance of technical and creative ambition.
So, if you are an enthusiastic and self-starting Designer, please apply for this role immediately!
CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.
Covid-19 Hiring Update
During the pandemic we transitioned to a temporary work-from-home model. We are now working through a gradual return to office plan as improvements of the COVID-19 situation will allow. We’re continuing to interview and hire during this time and while Cloud Imperium is overall an in-office operating company, some roles will start out remotely and others will be in-office from day one of employment. As a general policy, we have a Flexitime policy arrangement that allows for some remote working if and when it meets the needs of the role and the company. The details can be discussed during the interview stage. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you. Also, we follow mask requirements as they keep being updated per local regulations when in studio and we're also requiring full vaccination in order to work in studio.
We are aware of people receiving job offers that fraudulently allege to be from CIG. These types of fraud can be carried out through false websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal info like bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment.
If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at info[@]cloudimperiumgames.com with any information you may have.