Cloud Imperium is looking for a lighting artist to work in a cooperative, cross-disciplinary team environment who possess high artistic skill, including a thorough understanding of color theory, composition, light, and form. They should have experience with a 3D graphics package and demonstrate a solid understanding of rendering, lighting, shading networks, polygonal modeling, and texture UVs.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Involved in look-development around key surfaces and shaders to ensure lighting delivers against visual reference
- Creating both exterior and interior lighting within game environments and cutscenes
- Placing and adjusting light sources within the environment
- Tweaking shading materials and textures to improve the perception of the lighting
- Post-processing: color grading, exposure, SSAO, bloom, tone mapping curves, etc.
- Contributing to the development and placement of special effects related to lighting and atmosphere, such as light flares, fog, god rays, and camera optics
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction
- International travel may be required as part of the role
- Deep understanding of computer graphic lighting technology, both real-time and software rendering
- Strong sense of lighting theory: color space, exposure, light fixtures, natural light, reflections, etc.
- Good understanding of cinematography and dramaturgy: the use of camera technology, scene blocking, and lighting to set a mood
- Good understanding and experience with physical-based lighting systems
- Being pro-active in the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity. For example, to guide the player forward, highlight objectives and enemies
- Ability to thoroughly digest the art direction and champion executing it in-game
- Skilled at balancing visual quality against performance requirements
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
- Working knowledge of Maya and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages
This position is offered at our Wilmslow Studio by Cloud Imperium Games Ltd.