This Lead Technical Design position (based in Manchester) is for the studio’s Core Gameplay Pillar which designs and develops actor focused systems used across Squadron 42 and the Star Citizen persistent universe.
We are at the heart of actor gameplay. Working closely with other teams across the company, we shape the core gameplay loops that set the standard across all products. By designing innovative gameplay systems, implementing creative solutions to technical challenges, and delivering engaging experiences of the highest quality we strive to fulfil the promise this ambitious property has to offer.
Founded in 2012, Cloud Imperium Games creates cutting-edge videogames that defy expectations. We’re currently developing Star Citizen, a record-breaking multiplayer online space sim, and Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
What does a Lead Technical Designer at CIG do?
- Mentor, supervise and manage a team of technical designers, including scheduling and planning tech designer work on features and levels
- Proactively identify workflow issues, working with other teams to discover solutions
- Define and promote tech design workflow standards and best practices
- Communicate and present your team’s progress and risks to the rest of the studio
- Construct prototypes and best practices levels that showcase, validate and document game features, systems, and bespoke experiences
- Assist the programming team in implementing systems design by debugging, profiling and contributing light programming support.
- Collaborate with environment and level design teams to publish high quality levels that stretch the capabilities of the engine and challenge the expectations of players
- Work closely with UI, art and programming teams to complete front end and in-game user interface features using modern UI/UX best practices
- Evaluate and respond to feedback from playtesting, the development team, and design management to improve the user experience
What do we ask for?
- Experience in a leadership position, working with a large team, shipping AAA games in a technical level design capacity
- Affinity for 3D game editors and tools
- Passion for solving complex game design problems using visual and text-based scripting and programming languages. Experience with C++ preferred
- Experience with game and systems design including a solid understanding of feedback, controls, usability, balancing, narrative and level design
- Skilled communicator, interacting with a cross disciplinary team effectively and consistently both in person and through text, including documentation
- Eagerness to hear feedback and willingness to iterate on design
- Inherent ability to bring out the best in people around you, remain positive, and motivate and influence other disciplines
Diversity Statement CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.
Covid-19 Hiring Update During the pandemic we transitioned to a temporary work-from-home model. We are now working through a gradual return to office plan as improvements of the COVID-19 situation will allow. We’re continuing to interview and hire during this time and while Cloud Imperium is overall an in-office operating company, some roles will start out remotely and others will be in-office from day one of employment. As a general policy, we have a Flexitime policy arrangement that allows for some remote working if and when it meets the needs of the role and the company. The details can be discussed during the interview stage. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you. Also, we follow mask requirements as they keep being updated per local regulations when in studio and we're also requiring full vaccination in order to work in studio.
Fraud Statement We are aware of people receiving job offers that fraudulently allege to be from CIG. These types of fraud can be carried out through false websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal info like bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment.
If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at [email protected] with any information you may have.