Associate Corporate Counsel
Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment for game consoles, PCs, handheld and wireless devices. Founded in 1983, the company has created hundreds of games, including groundbreaking franchises Resident Evil™, Monster Hunter™, Street Fighter™, Mega Man™, Devil May Cry™ and Ace Attorney™. Capcom maintains operations in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Tokyo, with corporate headquarters located in Osaka, Japan.
Reporting to Vice President & General Counsel, this unique entry-level position will provide legal support to a broad spectrum of the business units for the sales & marketing, merchandise and content licensing and other commercial transactions as well as to copyright and brand protection and enforcement, IP and other forms of dispute resolution, information and cyber security matters and privacy law and other regulatory compliance.
This is an exciting opportunity in a collaborative and supportive work environment to develop strong, well-rounded legal skills, judgement, and deep knowledge and expertise in key aspects of the video game business. The position will help to develop a keen insight into the strategic role meticulous, rigorous legal expertise plays in holistically supporting digital entertainment business.
- Assist the General Counsel and Senior Corporate Counsel to work closely with the business units in structuring, drafting, reviewing, & negotiating a spectrum of commercial and licensing agreements, including agreements with musicians, artists, and influencers
- Draft contests and sweepstakes rules
- Provide IP, privacy and other legal advice on a wide range of legal issues including copyright and brand protection and enforcement
- Monitor and ensure compliance with privacy and cyber security law, FTC, ESRB, and other regulatory rules and regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- California Bar membership (or anticipated 2021)
- 1-2 years of experience in intellectual property law and critical contract drafting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Boundless curiosity with a “growth mindset”
- Probing and analytical mind
- Strong critical writing skills with basic knowledge of contract drafting and intellectual property law
- Intrinsic motivation in developing legal skills in intellectual property laws, contract drafting and negotiation
- Keen interest in video game industry
- passionate about video games and video game law
- Strong interpersonal skills including maturity, integrity, creativity and a high energy level
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment, sense, and wisdom in a professional environment.
- Ability to quickly adapt and learn in fluid environments
- Strong desire to pursue a career path outside of the traditional law firm-centric career path
- A good sense of humor
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Stellar academic credentials: JD degree with a proven academic record
Work is generally performed in an office environment and the noise level is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, knowledge, skills, abilities, or requirements, as any one position in this classification may be assigned some or all of these duties, in addition to other duties not explicitly listed here. The various duties, responsibilities, and/or assignments of this position may be unevenly balanced and changed from time to time based upon matters such as, but not limited to, variations in shift schedules, work demands, seasons, service levels and management’s decisions on how to best allocate department resources. Any shift, emphasis, or rebalancing of these assigned duties, responsibilities, and/or assignments does not constitute a change in the job classification.