Software Engineer - Backend Technical Lead
At Caffeine, we want to change how people consume live television - making it more friendly, connected, and fun. To do this, we’re building a new social broadcasting platform that features world-class content, easy-to-use broadcasting tools, a social and fun viewing experience, and an engaged broadcaster community.
This is an exciting and enormous challenge, and we will only be successful if we build a supportive and collaborative team. Our teams prioritize delighting our community of viewers and broadcasters, working with intention, taking ownership of our commitments, and acting with resilience and determination—all with the intention to ship greatness, always.
As a Technical Lead at Caffeine, you will be leading a team of backend engineers to build the core Caffeine product. At Caffeine, we have a microservices architecture with a focus on speed and reliability; you will take complete ownership of all of the microservices at Caffeine. You will be a thought leader at Caffeine: innovating how services are built, shaping the engineering culture, and mentoring team members on APIs and services best practices. You will architect and develop new services, contributing to our real-time components and integrating with the data stores that make up our product. You and your team will own and maintain each service you create, from coding & testing to deployment pipeline & production uptime.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and mentor the backend engineering team.
- Provide technical thought leadership in designing & maintaining backend services.
- Create new microservices and integrate with existing services.
- Add functionality to the Caffeine real-time services, such as the broadcasting service and the chat service
- Write unit, functional, and integration tests for the services and features you add, as well as find and adopt new methods to further increase maintainability and velocity.
- Optimize data access patterns for speed and scalability.
- Instrument services for operational visibility (both logging and metrics).
- Work cross-functionality with our Marketing, Product, and Content-focused colleagues to build the best user experience.
- Build software that is scalable, extensible, maintainable and observable.
Who You Are & What You've Done:
- 5+ years of engineering experience building APIs and Services, including software architecture design.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to lead a project with minimal guidance.
- Experience in building highly performant systems using relational and key-value datastore.
- Experience working with distributed systems in production.
- Ability to learn and understand new technologies/languages quickly; we currently use Golang, Ruby, Python, but we use whatever tool is required to get the job done right.
- Experience working in modern containerization technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with CI/CD, build pipeline and automation.
- Experience building software in the cloud such as AWS or GCP.
- Experience with 'event driven' architecture such as Kafka.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Caffeine. We believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas allow us to better understand the needs and interests of our diverse, global community. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer.