(Closed) Partner Engineer
At Caffeine, we want to change how people consume live television - making it more friendly, connected, and fun. To do this, we’re building a new social broadcasting platform that features world-class content, easy-to-use broadcasting tools, a social and fun viewing experience, and an engaged broadcaster community.
This is an exciting and enormous challenge and we will only be successful if we build a supportive team. To do this, we believe that our teams need to prioritize delighting our community of viewers and broadcasters, work with intention, take ownership of our commitments, and act with resilience and determination.
The Partnership Success team supports the Content & Business Development teams, ensuring broadcasts run smoothly and partners get what they need to be successful. We anticipate partner needs, have a solid understanding of the product and Caffeine’s video distribution platform, and use that knowledge to solve live production problems and communicate across teams.
We are looking for a Partner Engineer to support broadcasts remotely (and in some cases, onsite). This person will work with strategic partners before broadcasting to understand their needs, propose video delivery options, present technical challenges to the Engineering team, set up testing schedules and participate in rehearsals, and monitor the video platform during events. This role would appeal to someone who loves technical problem solving and building relationships.
- Designing live production and real-time streaming setups
- Deep understanding of RTMP encoding
- AWS Elemental services including MediaLive and ffmpeg
- Solid understanding of video/audio codecs
- Ability to write scripts in a programming language to automate tasks
What you'll do:
- Act as the main technical Point of Contact for content partners and events. You will need to understand the entire video pipeline, from the camera to our custom-build, real-time CDN to the WebRTC video playback in the viewing clients. You will organize video delivery testing, diagnose issues, build tools, and proactively troubleshoot during rehearsals to ensure events run smoothly.
- Assess content partner needs. Learn and understand the hardware and software partners are using, research any technical challenges they may have, and present those to Engineering and Product teams. Propose high quality video delivery options with your understanding of real-time video transmission protocols (RTMP, MPEG-TS, HLS, WebRTC).
- Onboard content partners to the Caffeine platform and the Caffeine Partner Portal. This involves hands-on training for partners as well as writing runbooks and checklists for internal and external uses.
- Travel onsite to esports and other live-broadcasting events to provide direct technical support. You will use your charming personality to quickly build a relationship with the partnering technical and production crew to meld communication channels and enhance information-sharing to diagnose issues immediately. You will communicate back to other Caffeine teams about schedule changes as well as any onsite technical difficulties.
Who you are & What you've done:
- Experience designing live production and real-time streaming setups with a deep understanding of both analog and digital A/V signals.
- Configured audio and video encoders over RTMP in a highly reliable setup.
- Communicated effectively with multiple remote teams, keeping everyone informed and managing expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and deliver under pressure in a live (and sometimes ambiguous) environment.
- Experience using AWS MediaLive, the Elemental video suite, and ffmpeg.
- Have written scripts and tools to automate processes.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Caffeine. We believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas allow us to better understand the needs and interests of our diverse, global community. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer.