Incubation Senior / Lead Combat Designer
Bungie is seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented Lead Combat Designer who is excited to build our next great IP.
Do you obsessively replay great combat encounters in the latest action-adventure game? Do you spend hours hitting the combat dummies in MMOs with every ability in your spellbook? Are you at pinnacle skill ranking in your favorite competitive game? Is "TTK" written obsessively in your notebooks?
You are part sandbox designer, part level designer, and part systems designer. There is nothing that you are unwilling to learn and prototype in the ultimate pursuit of top-tier combat design. One day you will be building and balancing new weapons, the next day working on a damage system, and the day after that you'll be working on player character perks.
But you also understand that engaging combat is the result of multiple disciplines effectively working in tandem, so your soft skills are just as sharp as your design skills.
Does this sound like you? If so, join us and put a dent in universe!
During these uncertain times and rapidly changing environment surrounding COVID-19, all positions at Bungie are subject to onboarding and working virtually/remotely.
- Work with creative leadership to prototype, build, and iterate on the moment-to-moment combat experience for a new project
- Dive deep into combat systems such as AI, weapons, armor, and abilities to make them sing
- Collaborate daily with a cross-discipline team to understand and build what's best for the game
- Invent, extend, and maintain processes, tools, workflows, and features for the team
- Participate in playtests as a player, moderator, or an observer while championing a safe and constructive feedback environment
- Experience as a combat, sandbox, or systems designer on a shipping product
- Experience designing and documenting weapon systems, damage systems, abilities, or any other fundamental action game system
- Experience tuning complex game combat systems such as aim assist cones, control response curves, and AI behaviors
- Scripting or coding experience (Python, LUA, C++, etc)
- Ability to creatively align with a leadership team and then take initiative
- Effective communication skills across disciplines
- Interest in playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS
- Experience leading small teams
- Experience designing for competitive games
- Online portfolio with examples of your work