Incubation Senior 3D Hard Surface Artist
Bungie is looking for a 3D Hard Surface Artist who can bring positivity and experience to art efforts on weapons, vehicles, and props. If you enjoy collaboration and delivering amazing 3D content, then this is the role for you.
As a 3D Hard Surface Artist you will be responsible for aspects of planning and executing weapons/vehicles/props content for Bungie’s projects. You will collaborate with the Art Director to define the vision and the goals for the 3D HS art content we will create. You will execute on the team’s vision and goals. You will partner with Production to ensure delivery, engage with Design to align the artistic experience and gameplay, drive technical advancements alongside Engineers to improve pipelines, and collaborate with Art Direction to translate the higher vision of the game into compelling content.
Do you think about how a receiver would have to work and what it would look like if it was fed from the magazine with lightning bullets? What about if you were harnessing the power of the sun, charging, and channeling it inside a rifle? Do you find yourself thinking about how the starboard wing of a spaceship would attach to the main fuselage if it had to repeatedly endure the stresses of re-entry, warp space, and orbital ascension? How would you sit on a rocket with gravity repulsors, hit the throttle, and have the whole thing not only hold together, but look good doing it? These are the questions that we tackle on a daily basis, and then we make those dreams come true for us, and our millions of players.
We are looking for artists to not only realize our imaginations with us, but who live and breathe it. You know who you are, you see vertices, high poly, baking, shaders, and that polished in game asset that makes everyone smile and get hyped as your bread and butter. You love talking with the team to bounce around ideas, help spin up new work, polish to that gleaming shine, and plays perfectly.
We are right there with you, it's what drives us every day. Give us a shout, we want to hear from you. We are the makers of worlds, dreams, and amazing things, and we think you might fit in just fine.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Translate fully realized concepts and simple napkin sketches into amazing models of weapons and vehicles
- Author realistic, futuristic, and sometimes, fantastical textures for multiple shader functions such as albedo, normal, roughness, metal, and detail maps
- Meet the quality bar established by the Art Director.
- Collaborate with Concept, FX, Design, Engineering, and Animation on visuals, functions, style, limitations, etc.
- Incorporate technical, artistic, basic understanding of animation, and knowledge of industrial and mechanical design into asset creation
- Work with production to ensure deliverables meet the defined objectives, defined quality bar, and schedule
- Support offsite vendor relationships
- Promote a culture of collaborative innovation
- Experience working as a Hard Surface Artist on a shipped game title (AAA), or equivalent Hard Surface assets for feature films
- Advanced understanding of surface development, proportion, and mechanical functionality
- Proficient with 3D Max, Maya, Blender, Photoshop, Substance Painter, Zbrush and/or Mudbox
- Proficient with high to low poly pipelines
- Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team environment
- Outstanding ability to problem solve and drive creative solutions
- Be task driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; attention to detail
- Working knowledge of PBR
- Experience with Substance Designer
- Sketching, drawing, design, and painting skills