Associate Technical Designer
Were you a software engineer or a game designer in a past life who has now chosen a different path? Do you seek an opportunity where you can combine your programming experience with your game design talent to solve challenging and interesting problems? Can you be a bridge of communication between disciplines thanks to your knowledge in technical systems and philosophy in experiential design? If so, we have the job for you! Bungie Studios is looking for a passionate, creative, and hard-working Technical Designer for our Destiny Scenario team.
As an Associate Technical Designer, you will work closely with Designers, Artists, Engineers, and other disciplines to create unique gameplay experiences. You will be the knowledge source for how best to implement flexible systems that allows teams to easily react to changes and achieve their goals. You are a designer with an insight into the technical requirements to achieve a unified vision.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA & CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in WA & CA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA & WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Collaborate with designers, artists, and engineers to setup the foundation for building unique player experiences
- Be the primary “go-to” person for implementation of complex content that stretches the capability of existing systems and projects that require heavy design/engineer interactions
- Willingness to dive into the not-so-well documented spaces between teams to understand the limitations and find creative solutions to align disciplines
- Skillfully revise design specs to meet the limitations of the engine while maintaining the defined experience goals
- This is primarily a game design role, but you will also be working to improve workflows and processes as a force multiplier for yourself and others around you
- Good design instincts and an understanding of how core systems affect gameplay
- Understanding of component-based design and development with an eye towards reusability
- A willingness to take design direction when offered
- Collaborate with team members from different disciplines
- A relentless desire for solving design problems; you are sociable and an information sharer
- Ability to drive investigations into technical problems for complex systems
- Experience with programming languages: C/C++/C#/Java/Python equivalent
- Previous experience in a design role or through personal projects
- Experience in a non-design development role (artist, animator, audio, engineer, etc.)
- Familiarity with 3D creation tools (Max, Maya)
- Experience with Unity, Unreal, or other game engine
- Experience working on games as a service
- Degree in Art/Design/Tech is a plus