Build A Rocket Boy is conducting a search for an experienced and highly qualified Director of IT Infrastructure & Operations who will be responsible for delivering high quality, reliable IT infrastructure and operations to the company. Based in Edinburgh, this position is operationally responsible for ensuring the global availability, integrity, and scalability for all IT systems and infrastructure across all company and partner locations.
This is a key leadership position who will direct the teams in charge of cloud services, unified communications, network services, data centre operations, servers and storage platforms, service monitoring, and help desk. This role reports directly to the Business Director and will manage existing enterprise architecture as well as design and execute on the company's technology infrastructure roadmap. This role is a forward-looking technology leader with impeccable integrity who can design and develop an infrastructure strategy and drive through to execution and support. As a member of the senior leadership team, and reporting to the Business Director, the position is an influential role, making investment and priority trade-off decisions, negotiating and managing vendor contracts, and recruiting, retaining, and developing high performing teams.
- Accountable for a high-performing computing infrastructure company-wide. This remit includes, but is not limited to, planning and management of computer operations and production support, systems and database administration, release management, business continuity, network operations, telecom, cloud services, help desk, and remote working support.
- Conduct strategic and tactical level planning in partnership with peers in both IT and game development teams to develop the technical roadmap and ensure delivery of supportable technology solutions that meet business needs.
- Manage the evaluation and adoption of emerging technologies including cloud, software defined networking, high performance computing, continuous delivery and the latest collaboration technologies in IT systems and infrastructure.
- Ensure cost-effective design, development, integration, implementation, testing, and maintenance of new services, equipment and systems in support of business objectives and requirements.
- Develop and lead a high performing infrastructure engineering and operations team to ensure the reliable delivery of IT services and operations.
- Build strong links between development and operations as well as studio site locations to create multidisciplinary teams that work together (remove silos).
- Drive a collaborative culture that values technical depth, accountability, and customer service.
- Establish, maintain and execute operations procedures that leverage efficiencies and best practices.
- Oversee cybersecurity protections on all IT infrastructure resources according to policies and standards established by senior management and technical leadership.
- Implement and maintain controls and monitoring procedures to ensure availability of critical systems, and minimal service interruptions.
- Develop a partner management process, for products and services, that delivers utilization optimization, a best-fit partner mix, and demonstrable savings.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in technology leadership positions with an emphasis on infrastructure services.
- Substantial experience leading, directing and controlling a complex, highly technical operation or organization.
- Substantial experience in cybersecurity as global topic and deep knowledge in cloud & infrastructure security, incident response and vulnerability management.
- Experience migrating IT infrastructure into a cloud environment.
- Knowledge of business concepts, and an understanding of the links between major business processes, products, systems, and networks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging technologies and the ability to apply those technologies to business needs.
- A track record of working collaboratively and productively with business partners.
- Deep knowledge of
- system architecture
- technology life cycle management
- cloud computing and cloud operations
- IaaS (public and private cloud)
- CaaS (containers as a service)
- PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service)
- infrastructure and technology-based security practices
- application and infrastructure monitoring
- database and data centre technology
- business continuity
- disaster recovery
- continuous integration/delivery
- unified communications
- automated software-based infrastructure management
- Demonstrated administrative, financial, project management and vendor management skills.
- Visible leadership skills and executive presence; can motivate individuals and teams to achieve program and project objectives.
- Able to attract, develop and retain talent and build high performing infrastructure and operations teams.
- Ability to establish, implement, and enforce appropriate IT standards and metrics to meet business requirements.
- A critical thinker: analytical and focused on continuous improvement.
- Sets and communicates priorities effectively; able to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- A team-player able to support the broader enterprise while delivering upon specific project/line of business requirements.
- Exceptional ability to lead change using positive and collaborative methods; removes barriers, acts with a sense of urgency, and leads by example.
- Exceptional service orientation and a keen attention to detail.
- Vendor negotiations and management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to explain technology solutions to in business terms; an effective listener and communicator.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities; a strategic thinker.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must be able to deliver high priority, cost-efficient and diverse infrastructure projects on time and with high quality. Flexibility to adapt and manage assignments as they evolve and are replaced by other priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Business travel will take place, including international trips, but with advance planning ability.
- Undergraduate degree or NANO degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or a related field.
- Cisco and/or Microsoft certifications a plus.
- An MS, MBA or related advanced degree is a plus.
- Keen interest in video games is a plus.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We're a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.