Engineering Intern - Undergraduate
Start Date: July 2021
Duration: 12 months
Type internship: Undergraduate student (Placement between 2nd and 3rd year)
Closing application date: 22nd January 2021
We are BossAlien, an award-winning developer of mobile games based in Brighton, UK and part of the NaturalMotion family of game studios. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling game experiences to mobile platforms, and we’re fortunate to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz for three years running.
As a member of our engineering team you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse and experienced crew of developers, and to help us build leading-edge technology for a new, premiere mobile game in the Star Wars universe.
Are you an undergraduate looking for an exciting, challenging and rewarding 12 month internship in the games industry? Then we want to hear from you.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
We create amazing games together and design through play. An intern can expect their day to day work to include:
- Collaborating on the design and implementation of new game features
- Creating systems, tools, and workflows that boost the whole team
- Working with our on-site testing team to reproduce, debug and fix bugs
- Playtesting the game and giving feedback
Our engineering team is made of up a diverse range of craftspeople, from core gameplay in Unreal Engine to building our user interface, integrations with a range of services, backend server infrastructure and DevOps, and specialist disciplines such as rendering and AI. We have multiple intern positions available and so we encourage internship applications from folks interested in any aspect of game development. Note that prior game development experience is not required - after all, that’s why you are looking for an internship!
Undergraduate, studying computer science, game development or similar technical disciplines.
You should be comfortable talking to us about:
- Data structures and algorithms
- Software architecture
- Object Oriented programming (we use C++, but experience of other object-oriented languages such as Java, Go, C# is transferable)
What Previous Interns Say About BossAlien
"Working here is amazing, the environment has a very relaxed vibe and makes you feel at home rather than at work. Everyone is incredibly helpful and easy to get along with. They also make awesome games and it’s been super fun to work on them. I’ve learnt so much about the games industry in the short time I’ve been here and I’m 100% sure I want to come back!”
“I learned a lot about programming in a number of languages and the structure of a games company. Had a great time, lots of fun while developing things, getting to work on an actual product and seeing your code used and improved on by professionals with years of experience was incredibly rewarding. Colleagues are very friendly and helpful. Overall an incredible experience everyone can get something out of.”
How to Apply
Please apply with your CV and covering letter. If you have a portfolio of work, we would love to see it: we’re excited to see any games you’ve built, and any other personal projects and/or open-source contributions, especially if you can show us work that you’ve done both solo and with others.
Your covering letter should include:
- Why would you like to do an internship with BossAlien?
- Why have you chosen this specific internship?
What We Offer
- Paid internship, working on a real project with a collaborative team
- We will invest in your development and help you level up your craft by learning new skills and the realities of production engineering code that players get to touch
- You will be assigned a personal mentor who will support you through the full duration of your internship
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Well stocked office kitchen and free Monday team lunch
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- And did we mention you’ll be working on a Star Wars game?!
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.