Junior Games Programmer
Bonsai Collective was founded in June 2019 by Hollie Emery, Benni Hill and Harry Corr after realising that they all had the same goals: creating a studio that creates video games that explores diverse worlds and classic gameplay mechanics, whilst trusting the player to do so. The remote-based studio is now growing, and we’re looking to expand even more over 2020 and 2021!
As well as being passionate about games and their development, we’re advocates for self care, and our employees physical and mental health. To support this, our employees will receive an extensive healthcare package and a base yearly holiday allowance of 33 days, inclusive of bank holidays.
Bonsai Collective are building a diverse team culture. It is important to us that our employees feel safe and secure in their own skin, identities, belief, values and culture. We support and encourage applications from all ethnicities, cultures, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, genders, disabilities, neuro-diverse groups, religions, and lifestyles such as parents or digital nomads.
In this role you will be working on Bonsai Collective’s debut title, a sci-fi action adventure game, and report to the Lead Programmer. In this role you will:
- Prototype, implement, iterate and polish new and existing gameplay mechanics and systems.
- Produce robust, efficient, clear, and maintainable code.
- Document the systems you have created or are responsible for.
- Design manual and automated tests to ensure systems work correctly.
- Provide constructive input to and feedback on designs during initial design, prototyping, iteration, and polish stages.
- Be a point of contact for designers, artists, QA, and other coders for the systems you create and maintain.
- Collaborating with the programming team to provide support and request assistance when required.
- Be responsible for scoping tasks, working to deadlines, and communicating with production if problems arise.
- Collaborate with design and production teams to establish achievable goals.
- Good understanding of the Unreal Engine architecture with both C++ code and Blueprint script.
- Practical problem-solving skills related to 3D game development.
- Experience with debugging systems, profiling, and optimisation.
- Can quickly create and iterate prototypes based on design documents and feedback.
- Broad knowledge of multiple areas of game programming.
- Experience developing and deploying console games.
We are also considering mid-level programmers with this position, and salary will be scalable depending on experience.
All applications are expected to provide a resume and covering letter, plus a portfolio of their work.
Please add the position you are applying for in the email header.