Senior Software Engineer
The Battle.net & Online Products organization is home to 300+ superpowered engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers Blizzard Entertainment’s games. Whether you’re playing one of our titles, chatting with friends, or just shopping online, B&OP ensures that our players are immersed in engaging, exciting, and secure experiences.
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Software Server Engineer to join our Battle.net Game Services Group!
The Game Services Group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When a player logs in, sends a friend request, a whisper, or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, Game Services powers these capabilities. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new social group, we are the team that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, Game Services is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Work with a small and talented team to develop scalable, highly performant platform services
- Implement new features and services to support the needs of multiple teams
- Participate in the ongoing effort to improve our platform infrastructure, with the goal of achieving ever increasing service availability
- Develop unit and integration test code to validate service reliability
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Good communication skills
- Strong understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database development experience in one or more of the following: MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- A desire to help make the service the best that it can be for our players
- Proficient in at least one scripting language such as Python
- Familiarity with public cloud (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud/virtualization/containerization technologies and infrastructure
- Enthusiastic about supporting a live service
- Familiarity with Blizzard Entertainment games and features, at least at a casual player level
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!