Linux Systems Engineer
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented Linux Systems Engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team. The ideal individual has an intimate understanding of the deployment and tuning of Linux systems, a proven history of driving projects from architecture to implementation, as well as software development skills to automate and improve processes in a large (50,000+) server infrastructure. The individual will work with little guidance in a fast-paced, action-packed environment digging deep into the core services that makes the Blizzard platform tick.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Perform system performance monitoring, tuning, and troubleshooting
- Research new technologies including software and hardware, based on business requirements
- Follow procedures identified by SOX and PCI standards
- Partner with datacenter engineering to help deploy new hardware as required
- Partner with IT Security to research and resolve platform security risks quickly and efficiently
- Develop automation tools and processes to help scale operations
- Provide systems and services expertise while driving operational best practices
- Leverage or build appropriate technical tools to perform administration tasks, root-cause analysis and performance monitoring
- Develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of teams, interacting in a friendly, open, honest, and accepting manner
- Participate in production support and in on-call duties
- Ensure 24/7 availability of the production servers and applications
- Work to develop SOPs and TSGs for key systems and services
- A minimum of 3 years’ systems engineering and/or systems administration experience
- A mastery of Linux. This means: you know why things work on a Linux system, not just how to configure them.
- A deep understanding of LDAP, NTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, etc.
- Experience administering CentOS/RedHat Linux and/or Ubuntu Linux
- Proven technical experience and a solid foundation in operating systems
- Experience with Puppet, Ansible, or other configuration management tools
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker
- Write scripts in some administrative language (Python, Perl, Go, Shell)
- Strong performance troubleshooting skills
- Good team communication skills, with technical and non-technical colleagues
- Able to read and perform debugging of C/C++/Java/Go programs.
- Familiarity with OpenStack, AWS, or Google Cloud
- Familiarity with tuning and troubleshooting the Linux kernel
- A degree in computer science or a related field
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!